Weird Blue Streaks and Splotches

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
mida68
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mida68 » Tue 12 Dec, 2006 23:36

We just finished our pool last month with CA Pools and had our final pool orientation a few weeks ago.

I know we were to expect some mottling with our dark grey and grey 3M plaster but during the last few weeks these large dark blue streaks and splotches have appeared on one side of the pool and a little in the spa. They run the entire length of the pool, only on the bottom. :cry:

I admit that two weeks after the pool orientation when the chemistry was tested, was my first test instead of one week after the orientation (after noticing the blue splotches) and the PH is really high and the chlorine is really low. I bought some acid and added 1/2 gallon tonight to at least get the levels going back in the right direction.

The only thing I can think of that would cause such blue streaks would be that blue "glue" the gardeners use for PVC pipes which they did spill a tad of on my decking. However, the gardeners were done relandscaping the slope above the pool several weeks ago and I doubt the blue streaks were even on the plaster at that point. And, they would have had to spill a lot to get the discoloration we are now seeing. I must have noticed these a few weeks back but at the time, I remember thinking there were lots of "shadows" on the bottom of the pool!

Any ideas what this could be?

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 17:03

I think this may be algae and not a stain at all. This is a guess as clearly I can't see the pool, however it is reasonable to think that green on grey would appear blue. Given your low chlorine and high pH it is quite possible this is the issue. If it is it will clear up when you get the pH and chlorine in the right range.

HTH

Photos of mysterious streaks...

Postby Guest » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 22:21

OK, here it is... definitely not algae and two guys from CA pools came over and said it was not due to any chemical imbalance. We were able to feel the spots today and they are very smooth like glass.

I keep thinking that maybe the plaster was not mixed right but it's only on 1/2 the pool, weird!!

I'm also thinking it's not really blue but dark grey and only looks blue because of the water. Maybe the 3M or dye is concentrated?

Any other ideas??

Postby Guest » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 22:22

Looks like I can't post photos, look here for photos...
temeculawebdesign dotcom/pool/pool dot htm
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 14 Dec, 2006 16:44

What is your contractor advising you on this? It certainly appears on the photo to be plaster related.

Few other questions.
Were you requested to increase your calcium hardness for the first six months of pool ownership?
You say it is only on one side the sunny or shaded side?
What is your water source, mains, bore or ...?
Are you using a salt chlorinator?
Pool Owner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Pool Owner » Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:07

With only a month old pool, I would think your pool builder should be taking the lead in helping you to identify and solve the problem. Something definitely looks wrong. You may want to check into getting your pool serviced by someone for a few months to ensure you are doing your part. If you can find a service company that builds pools too (and does not have a chip on their shoulder), they may be able to provide additional advice/direction. Please update your posts along the way. Good luck!
Pool Owner
Orange County, CA, USA
poolforum(dot)blogspot(dot)com
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:06

If I had to guess, I'd say that whoever put the chemicals in the pool after it was filled, did not dilute the chemicals first. Instead, a dry granular chemical, which could be anything, was broadcasted directly into the pool. When a dry chemical is put into a pool it sinks. If the water is not too deep, the chemical will reach the bottom and eat away at it or "stain" it. Notice how the stains are not on the walls because the granual would have rolled to the floor. Some may look like streaks because your pool has a natural flow or current that has pulled the chemical towards the main drain leaving a trail. ALL CHEMICALS SHOULD BE COMPLETELY DISSOLVED AND DILUTED IN A 5 GALLON BUCKET OF POOL WATER AND THEN BROADCASTED INTO THE POOL. Now that the damage is done, you may be able to sand the spots. 3M makes sanding sponges that can be used under water, try the green sponge. DO NOT drain the pool.
Good Luck
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 24 Dec, 2006 17:36

I picked up in another forum that the pool had garden soil dropped into it. I think the stain is copper from trace elements fertiliser that was in the soil.
Patti

Postby Patti » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 16:01

My neighbor is having the same problem although her pool is a liner inground. when we brush the streaks is fades away, but then appears again. she said she recently added ph around the edge (instead of diluting it)
I also am looking for answers....anyone?

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”