HIGH OR LOW TOTAL ALKALINITY??

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
CURT C
I'm new here
I'm new here

HIGH OR LOW TOTAL ALKALINITY??

Postby CURT C » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 17:29

I tested my total alkalinity in my pool and I had to add 7 drops of a solution to correct the alk. level Each drop=10ppm. If i have to add 7 drops to get the desired color DOES THAT MEAN IT HAS 70 PPM??, and do I need to lower or raise my total alkalinity???? Help please!! All other chemicals are at normal levels incl. PH. :?: [/b] Also my pool is salt water, FIBERGLASS, and 23000 gallons.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: HIGH OR LOW TOTAL ALKALINITY??

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 20:11

CURT C wrote:I tested my total alkalinity in my pool and I had to add 7 drops of a solution to correct the alk. level Each drop=10ppm. If i have to add 7 drops to get the desired color, do I need to lower or raise my total alkalinity???? Help please!! All other chemicals are at normal levels incl. PH. :?: [/b] Also my pool is salt water and 23000 gallons.

You haven't stated what your pool is made of. However, I would normally not bother adjusting the TA at this level.

HTH
CURT C
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CURT C » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 19:18

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, IT'S FIBERGLASS. SO YOU THINK THAT'S A NORMAL LEVEL?? THE CHEMICAL TEST IS CONFUSING, MAKES IT SEEM THAT I NEED TO RAISE OR LOWER BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH???

THANKS! CURT
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 02 Jan, 2007 04:05

Opinions differ somewhat on what an ideal level for fiberglass pools should be, however generally I aim for 80 mg/l or thereabouts. 70 is close enough.

HTH

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”