can I use old chemicals?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
causeofhim

can I use old chemicals?

Postby causeofhim » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 22:37

I bought a house with a hot tub in it. There is a box full of BioGuard chemicals that the owner told me were about 8-10 years old. Most are nearly full. Can I still use them? Are BioGuard chemicals any good?
Oh, I have two filters that are the same age as well. Will they be ok?

The tub was hardly used and not at all for about 8 years.

Thanks

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 23:27

Whilst the chemicals might be okay, I don't think I would bother with chemical that old on a simple cost basis it just isn't worth it.

I think I would try filling the tub first and see if it leaks and the gear actually works before I would spend anything on chemicals, I suspect with the tub sitting this long you may find it is leaking or you may be up for hardware first.

HTH

Postby Guest » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 23:55

dynamictiger wrote:Whilst the chemicals might be okay, I don't think I would bother with chemical that old on a simple cost basis it just isn't worth it.

I think I would try filling the tub first and see if it leaks and the gear actually works before I would spend anything on chemicals, I suspect with the tub sitting this long you may find it is leaking or you may be up for hardware first.

HTH

I have already filled the tub, found leaks, and fixed them first.

What do you mean that it wouldn't be worth it on a cost basis? I figure it is about $80 worth of chemicals. Maybe I dont need all of them but it seems like a huge waste to toss them if they are ok.

Postby Guest » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 23:57

Oh, and what about the filters? Do they go bad?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 16:23

Whilst this chemical maybe $80 worth, what is your families health worth to you?

Depending on the filter type I would be inclined to change the media. The Hot tub was placed out action for a reason by someone. You do not know the reason, it may have been running costs, lack of use or an infection.

As you don't know you need to assume the worst. In this case a media change is mandatory.

HTH

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”