New pool and pump questions

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
browe
I'm new here
I'm new here

New pool and pump questions

Postby browe » Tue 09 Jan, 2007 19:43

I have a new pool and am having some problems. My Polaris 380 doesn't climb the walls or really work the way it is supposed to like it does when I put it in my neighbor's pool. Neither my neighbor's polaris 280 or my 380 work properly in my pool but both work fine in his pool.

I have a 24,000 gallon pool a Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump sand filter with a Polaris 380 w/booster pump. I've checked the RPM's on the polaris and it is fine.

1. What should the PSI of my sand filter be?
2. Is it possible my pool pump is too small?

Thansk,
Brian

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2007 23:52

I have not sold many polaris 380. However, I understood they ran on a totally seperate booster pump and your filter pressure is not related or affected by this.

I am going to speak in general terms based on other cleaners I have dealt with.

If the polaris is cleaning the floor then the machine is 'working'. As to why it is not climbing the walls this could be for several reasons. You have eliminated a faulty cleaner, so now we can assess the pump. This is simple to do. Turn the polaris off, pick him up from the pool bottom and hold him about an arm length off the pool wall under water. Have someone else start the booster pump then place polaris on the wall. Does he climb or fall off?

If he climbs then the angle of the pool to wall may be preventing him climbing, if not or he falls off, contact the pool builder and ask him to come and check it out.

HTH
browe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby browe » Wed 10 Jan, 2007 20:37

dynamictiger wrote:I have not sold many polaris 380. However, I understood they ran on a totally seperate booster pump and your filter pressure is not related or affected by this.

I am going to speak in general terms based on other cleaners I have dealt with.

If the polaris is cleaning the floor then the machine is 'working'. As to why it is not climbing the walls this could be for several reasons. You have eliminated a faulty cleaner, so now we can assess the pump. This is simple to do. Turn the polaris off, pick him up from the pool bottom and hold him about an arm length off the pool wall under water. Have someone else start the booster pump then place polaris on the wall. Does he climb or fall off?

If he climbs then the angle of the pool to wall may be preventing him climbing, if not or he falls off, contact the pool builder and ask him to come and check it out.

HTH

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought the two pumps worked together. I've tried to contact the person who built my pool and have been unsuccessful. Hopefully I will be hearing from him shortly.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”