Footprints in new plaster.

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
jgenn3

Footprints in new plaster.

Postby jgenn3 » Mon 15 Jan, 2007 16:37

I had a new gunite pool completed 3 months ago using a med grey plaster. Almost immediatly I noticed marks in the deep end where the water hose was left to fill the pool. Shortly after as the days went on I started noticing foot prints on the top step and in the shallow end. I informed the pool builder and they said to keep brushing the paster 3 times a day and the marks will go away as the plaster cures. They never did and now they are pretty much all over the pool. The pool bulider got the plaster company involved and they are just getting to it now after several missed appointments and because of the holidays etc. The plaster company inspected the pool and tried to sand under the water to no sucess. They were going to try and acid wash the pool full but now want to drain the the pool and sand the plaster. I've read that the pool should not be drained. Is this a normal practice or does this plaster company not know what they are doing here?

geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:43

if they couldn't sand the prints off under water then they won't be able to sand them with the pool drained either. The pool really should not be drained so soon, although it should be fully cured in 26 days, it should be kept wet. So, if they drain to sand and still keep the pool wet, why drain it? Doesn't make a difference. If they want to do a standard acid wash, the pool will also need to be drained. An acid bath would be better because it does not require draining, but if done incorrectly, it can cause problems with plaster or equipment. If they used hand held sanding blocks, try an underwater sander driven by a high pressure washer. They cost 1200 bucks, so they might not have one.
jgenn3

Postby jgenn3 » Tue 16 Jan, 2007 13:35

When they attempted to sand previously they tried on the top step by hand and now want to drain and bring in professional equipment. The manual sanding on the top step I guess might have made a slight improvment but the foot print was still somewhat visable. My main concern here is the requirement to drain vs. underwater sanding as most users claim is how this should be done. Maybe they dont want to put on scubba gear as the Pool Company claimed they would need to do if the plaster company did the underwater sanding.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 16 Jan, 2007 16:52

This is a contract dispute, and should be treated as such.

Your contract is with the pool builder.

The pool builders contracted the plaster company.

Go back to the pool builder and discuss draining the pool etc with him. If he is happy for the plaster company to do this it is his warranty ultimately and he is the one empowered to say yes or no.

HTH
Jgenn3

Postby Jgenn3 » Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:53

Well the Pool Builder had the Plaster Company drain the pool do a light Acid Wash and some sanding. the pool was refilled and the footprints are still visable and now including swirl marks from the sanding. The Plaster Company rep that worked on the job is saying that the footprints will eventually fade in about a year or so. This does not sound logical to me and the Pool Builder is giving excuses that they need to talk to this person or that person at the Plaster Company so I'm basically getting the run-around. Anybody know the best way to proceed? Small Claims, State Contractor's License Board etc....?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 18 Jan, 2007 15:58

Try the APSP or whatever profeesional organisation the builder belongs to they normally offer dispute resolution.

HTH

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”