pool stains

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Michael Mott

pool stains

Postby Michael Mott » Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:30

I have a new pool that has brown stains between the tiles that are rounded in shape. Also the plastic covers on the bottom have turned brown along with the grout between some of the tiles in the deep end. I have regular pool maintence. Help!

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 21 Jan, 2007 15:58

Brown stains are typically iron or a similar metal in the water. For spot stain removal you can try placing a piece of PVC directly over the stain, adding a cup of acid into the PVC and waiting about 5 minutes. This method works but takes a few goes before it is effective.

The staining on your plastic fittings does indicate a more severe metal stain issue than the spots on the stairs. As you are using a maintenance company for the pool I would get them out and ask them about it directly.

HTH
Beth Townsend

Help, we bought a house with a fiberglass pool......

Postby Beth Townsend » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 15:23

We just bought a house with a 9000 gallon fiberglass pool. To keep from doing anything really stupid I called a pool company to teach me how to manage the pool.

The problem is that I think she is learning as she goes. There are brown stains that circle the pool at the water line, and she is having trouble getting rid of them. The former owners used pure Vitamin C, but she (the pool lady) is telling me is making the water hard to balance.

However, it seems to be the only thing that works.

If anyone has any advice on managing a fiberglass pool I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much, Beth
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Help, we bought a house with a fiberglass pool......

Postby Backglass » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 15:33

Beth Townsend wrote:We just bought a house with a 9000 gallon fiberglass pool. To keep from doing anything really stupid I called a pool company to teach me how to manage the pool.

The problem is that I think she is learning as she goes. There are brown stains that circle the pool at the water line, and she is having trouble getting rid of them. The former owners used pure Vitamin C, but she (the pool lady) is telling me is making the water hard to balance.

However, it seems to be the only thing that works.

If anyone has any advice on managing a fiberglass pool I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much, Beth

Well Ascorbic Acid will change your water balance, true...you cant have both at the same time. Balanced water/stain removal.

Do the ascorbic acid treatment...add a metal removing product...re-balance.

Postby Guest » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 00:35

I also have a similar issue with my pool floor, it seems like its stained ( i said it was never there before, pool guys said it was like that "yes i hate them" )

Do you guys have any recommendations on the best way to get rid of them, they are somewhat in streaks and waht not cause you can see one part of the bottom of the pool nice and another more darkish stain. Also my pool filter covers in the deep end changed color as well, which bothers me

Sorry i did not make a new thread but thought this would be better
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:58

Stains:

Get in the pool and rub a Vitamin C tablet on the stains. If they disappear, they are mineral. Rub a chlorine tablet on them. If this makes them disappear, they are organic. If it is the latter, you need to super-chlorinate for an extended time to lighten.

If it is mineral you can to the Ascorbic Acid treatment DETAILED HERE at the bottom of the list.

Postby Guest » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 19:55

i made a post on this other forum because this one would not let me post pics but here is the link with the pics of what i was talkin about

www(dot)troublefreepool(dot)com/viewtopic(dot)php?p=10791#10791

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”