Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
lonas

Rust stains on fibreglass pool

Postby lonas » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 13:23

[quote][/quote]
Metalic stains / using oxalic acid or a Granular stain remover. Several ways:
**1 Shut off filtration sys. /wait 5-10 minutes and broadcast powder directly over spots . wait one hr. and then start sys. with 100% suction coming from main drain. Wear gloves while handling product.
**2 Shut off filtration sys. / wait 5-10 minutes / if alot of metal stains along perimeter/edge of pool /fllor/wall , then at water line, against wall slowly sprinkle product so it will run down the wall . When it hits the floor a cloud may spread out. Wait 10-15 minutes because this cloud is still the product in a active stage, slowly moving down the slop towards the main drain. . Start sys. pulling from the main drain, cloud will dissapear in short time. Be sure to backwash in 12-24 hrs. max.
**3 Shut off filtration sys. / if only a hand full of metallic stains then add 1-2 oz. of oxalic into a cheese cloth/nurses stocking then wrap up and use rubber band or plastic ties. drop into water and position over metalic stain, holding it down for 2-3 minutes with net or wall brush since it may want to float .

There are other pouch type products also made for metal stains which are bascically a dry acid in a bag.
Remember, always wear gloves when handling problem solving products!

Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 16:51

I would not fill your pools with acid, this can create so many other problems not to mention the costs associated with the vast quanties of chemicals you will need to get it back, I would drain the pool and do and acid wash, you can scrub the pool in sections and get good results.
For the person who had spots show up for no reason, do you have grass around or close to the pool? lawn fertilizer will leave rust spots due to the nitrogen in it, or your heater may have a problem with the exchanger.
Pool repair guy
Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:46

There is a great product from an australian company - Lo-chlor, www.lo-chlor.com, and is sold in the US
http://www.lo-chlor.com.au/remprev_citraclean.php

CitraClean, it is economical (around $12) and a 1kg pack will treat your size pool.

it is a granualr powder and can be added directly to the water

we sell a ton of this every year for the exact problem you have - either that or people using angle grinders on steelwork near the pool. In 90% of cases you can watch the marks lift in front of your eyes
Chocolate fish do not swim in hot water
Poolay

Postby Poolay » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 14:02

I recommend a product called metal-out before attempting rust stain removal. Combined with a floc application this will remove any metal traces from the water when you vac to waste, preventing future staining. Interestingly I recently found it can assist the removal of existing stains too. I had tried oaxalic without any success on a rust stain, yet after I had applied the above mentioned process the oaxalic removed it easily. The repeat application of the acid may have been a factor also I guess, I will trial this again soon to find out.
Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 15:07

Poolay wrote:I recommend a product called metal-out before attempting rust stain removal. Combined with a floc application this will remove any metal traces from the water when you vac to waste, preventing future staining. Interestingly I recently found it can assist the removal of existing stains too. I had tried oaxalic without any success on a rust stain, yet after I had applied the above mentioned process the oaxalic removed it easily. The repeat application of the acid may have been a factor also I guess, I will trial this again soon to find out.

Metal out and similar products are sequestreants, and work fine when there is a soluble level of metal in the water - they are generally phosphoric acid based, they are not so effective by themselfs at removing the actual stain from the surface in my experience
Chocolate fish do not swim in hot water
kabc123

Postby kabc123 » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 22:10

We used vinegar, mop, and the sun. Pool cleaned up beautiful. You can also use Cllorox tub cleaner without the bleach for darker stains to break it first.
Lutherj
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gal
Fiberglass
Hayward

Postby Lutherj » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 21:24

Try this.

Remove the chorine from your pool. Let is rundown to 0. Then add 1 lb of vitamin C per 10000 gal. I got this idea from another site and it works.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... t-199.html

Lutherj
Rosco

Postby Rosco » Mon 22 Jun, 2009 17:33

Use ascorbic acid. Most pool supply places carry this in bulk powder form (a little expensive 29.00 for 2 lbs. but you don't need a lot) and it really works great and fast. Sprinkle in pool with pump running (use recirculate) and in no time all stains will be removed from pool including rust, dirt, discolor, etc. Pool will look like it is brand new. Follow instructions... This is a pool service secret. Doesn't cause any disbalance of chemicals.
ruth

Postby ruth » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 09:56

I have a fiberglass pool and have well water that have high levels of metal mostly iron and copper. My pool had yellow stains all over the surface and steps. I used a chemical from my local pool store call Iron and copper stain removal made by Poollife which made the stains disappear right before my eyes. It was great stuff. Also in past have use Magic Jack products that work well on stains which ordered from pool products catalog "In The Swim" company.
Good Luck.

Postby Guest » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 11:57

Rosco wrote:Use ascorbic acid. Most pool supply places carry this in bulk powder form (a little expensive 29.00 for 2 lbs. but you don't need a lot) and it really works great and fast. Sprinkle in pool with pump running (use recirculate) and in no time all stains will be removed from pool including rust, dirt, discolor, etc. Pool will look like it is brand new. Follow instructions... This is a pool service secret. Doesn't cause any disbalance of chemicals.

how much do i use for 18,000 gal pool?
judy306

Postby judy306 » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 16:32

I have about 10 rust stains on the bottom of my fiberglass pool. They are in the shallow end near the stairs. Any suggestions?
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 00:49

Mush wrote:Hi

A pool toy ripped leaving a lot of small metal balbearings on the bottom of our pool. While we were away on holiday for a week, these have rusted leaving definite rust spots all over the bottom of our fibreglass pool. Scrubbing wil not remove them and I have tried a powder in the pool from the pool shop but none of these has worked - does anyone have any suggestions ?

:(

Michelle

You can apply ascorbic acid powder to remove the rust stains on fiberglass pool. As per manufacturer's stipulation. This is beneficial if more stains are spread across the whole pool.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Rust stains on fibreglass pool

Postby paulbest » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 23:15

mineral deposits and chemical breakdown of metals are the topmost reason why there are stains on pools. however, utilizing the proper equipment and correct techniques, these can effectively diminish stains from fiberglass pools.

Apply a vitamin C tablet directly on the stain. If the stain is due to metal, it should lift up quickly. Scrub the affected area with a soft bristled brush to work out the stain.

Apply ascorbic acid powder to your pool filter, according to the manufacturer's specifications. This is helpful if several stains are spread across the entire pool.

Scrape a chlorine tablet over the stained area to bleach out the stain. Scrub the area with a soft bristled brush to aid in the stain removal.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”