Cant get pool water clean

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.

Cant get pool water clean

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Feb, 2007 19:20

I consider myself an amatuer when it comes to adding chemicals and keeping my pool clean. We have tried going to the pool store with no help. We had a mustard green algae problem over the summer, which we have since gotten to clear up. Now the problem is that the water is very cloudy. It is to the point where we can not see the bottom of the pool. We have had a pool guy come out to try and help clear the pool but he was unsuccessful, and then never returned another call. I do not have any of the readings at this time but will try and get them today or tomorrow. We have tried clarifier and went on the directions of the pool store to get the levels balanced.... No avail. I have checked the sand in our filter to make sure it was not like playgound sand (very large grain) and it is not. I believe it is 20 grade. We run the filter almost 24/7 with and backwash every other day or so. On another note we recently had the pool redone with a new filtration system and pump, so I would find it hard to believe that to be the problem. Please post any suggestions and will respond as soon as possible. We have spent close were at the pool store soo much they started giving us half off. Please help. Thank you.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 02 Feb, 2007 16:31

This is reading like a filter issue. You said you have just recently had a new filter system installed. What volume is your pool and what make and model pump and filter do you have?

Why are you backwashing every other day? Is it because the pressure is building up too quickly, or is it because you think you should?

Did you install the new filter system because of water issues or did the water issues start after the new filter system was installed?

Postby Guest » Tue 06 Feb, 2007 21:10

The pump is a 1HP Century Pool/hot tub pump, model 0-177450-03
the filter is a Pentair Triton II Sand Filter. The pool is a 10 foot diving pool, we estimate between 30-35 thousand gallons. We have been backwashing on an everyother day to every 3rd day basis because that is what we where directed to do.

Postby Guest » Tue 06 Feb, 2007 21:14

As far as the water issues go there were issues before we had the pool redone. That is why the entire pool was redone. We got the new filter and pump because we had one of the older filter systems (10years or so) and was not filtering very well. It was fine in the beginning of the summer after they finished and then a storm came through and the pool was green the next day. We have not been able to get it to clear up since then.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 00:43

The information you have given me is the motor size and model and the filter model without size. I am going to make some guesses based on what I know and what the filter brochure tells me.

I am assuming the pump is a standard 1 hp pump with standard pump flow rate based on that your pool is turning over between 80 and 100 gpm. Therefore 35000 gallons will take 6-7 hours to circulate once through the pump. The water needs to pass through the pump system 7 times before the entire volume of the pool is turned over once. It would take your system around 2 days continuous running to get to this point.

As you have a 1 hp pump, you most likely have a 30 inch filter in the Triton II range. However you could also have a 24 inch. If you have the 24 inch your filter is undersized to manufacturers specification. The 30 inch is okay to manufacturers data.

If you had approached me for a pump for this pool I would be looking for 200 gpm turnover rate. This is most likely why you can't get the pool back. Unfortunately there is no way around this other than persevere and eventually you will clear the water or upsize the equipment (Provided the plumbing can take it) and get there a lot sooner.

If you choose to persevere I strongly suggest the following approach:

1: Lower the pH to around 7.0 (ignore TA)

2: Shock the pool to 20 mg/l and hold it at this level for 2 days

3: Add clarifier of some description to the pool water

Run the system non stop for a week, only backwash if absolutely necessary as the flow rate is dropping away to near nothing. Even then I think we are going to stratify the pool.

HTH

Postby Guest » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 16:14

Sorry about the incomplete information before. I have since gone back out and gotten more info. The filter is a Pentair Triton 2 sand filter the model is Tr-60 which has a flow rate of 63GPM. The pump is a Pentair Whisperflow High Performance Pump Model WFE-4. The PH is around 7.8 I believe when we checked it the other day with our little chemichal test kit. The Chlorine level was at 5PPM I think. I can take a water test in to the local leslies pool to get all of the information as I do not have test items for the rest. To lower the PH we need to add base acidity item, right?

Postby Guest » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 16:29

whisperflow series pump is part 011513.

For the Filter the part number is 140264

Postby Guest » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 16:54

I have used a volume calculater and came to the conclusion the pool is around 26000 gallons. It is about 30 feet long or so (only had a 25 foot tape measue) about 15-16 feet wide, and 5 foot in the shallow end and 10 foot in the deep end for a 7.5 average height.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 04:09

Thanks for the model numbers;

WFE 4 nominal head 37 feet or 17 PSI flow rate 100 gpm (near enough)
WFE 4 nominal head 70 feet or 34 PSI flow rate 60 gpm (near enough)

TR 60 is 24 inch filter flux rate is 78 m3/m2/hr (sorry this is in metric I can't work out how to convert this measurement).

The filter is undersized to the pumps stated flow rate. The flow rate should be closer to 43 m3/m2/hr.

The pool should be turned over at 144 gpm minimum for the filter system to work correctly and clear the pool water, so the pump is undersized as well.

To save you all the pain I have worked it out in metric and converted for you assuming your normal operating pressure is around the 17 PSI on your filter gauge, and selected appropriate equipment.

Pool Volume 26000 gallons

Flow Rate required 546 litres per minute or 144 gpm

Filter Area required (((546*60)/1000)/45)=0.728 m2 or 7.83 ft2

Pump Model Selected: Whisperflow WF 28 (Near enough)
Filter Selection: TR 140 (near enough)

This selection will be able to clear a green pool, provided chemical levels are at sufficient levels within two days of constant running.

Sorry about the metric. I think in metric and sometimes it is easier.

HTH

Postby Guest » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 10:09

Ok so just to essentially clarify, I would need a 1.5-2 HP pump and a filter that has a 6 or more square foot filter area?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 17:18

As I said a few posts back you could persevere with the equipment you have although it will be a struggle. If you change the gear out to the correct selection it will be dramatically easier to clean the pool up and hold it there.

HTH

Postby Guest » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 18:04

The problem is that we paid almost a lot of money to have this pool redone. The company should have provided the proper equipment for cleaning. Although I believe we may be at loss for the pump as the invoice stated a 1hp pump. The filter does not specify type or anything. What we want is to have some type of case in regards to getting the company to take ownership of their work and provide the right equipment.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 09 Feb, 2007 03:47

PM Me please

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”