extremely high pressure guage reading

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
barry

extremely high pressure guage reading

Postby barry » Tue 06 Feb, 2007 13:13

I have a 17'x33' inground pool which is approx 3 years old. The pressure typically hovers around 20-25psi. However, suddenly, the pressure guage shows the pressure at 50-60psi. I backwashed several minutes, but, after switching back to "filter" mode, the pressure is STILL the same. I'm not very knowledgable about how the pool system works so any advice is appreciated!

thanks in advance

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 06 Feb, 2007 15:49

I know this may be a silly question, but is the gauge working correctly? does it return to 0 on stopping the pump? Is the water flow through the system actually less than it used to be?
barry

Postby barry » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 08:36

not a silly question to me (considering my lack of knowledge)...No, it does NOT return to zero. Actually, I had wondered about that...but it still "sounds" a little funny (although the water is actually circulating). Typically, while running in "filter" mode, the water in the secondary basket (or whatever you call the basket right in front of the filter with the clear plastic top) comes all the way to the top of the clear plastic cover....but, now, it hovers around 3-4 inches from the top and won't come any higher. The pool and all components are only about 3 years old. Could it be that I need to change the sand?....or maybe there's air getting in somehow?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 07 Feb, 2007 15:32

With the system switched off change the multiport valve to waste. Does the gauge return to 0?

Then turn the multiport to recirculate or whichever position it is on yours. Does the pot fill with water? If your gauge is multiport valve mounted does the pressure go down?
barry

Postby barry » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 11:59

Thanks for your help!! The guage never moves....so, apparently, that's ONE problem. Can I change out that guage myself? Looks like it would be easy enough, but I don't want to screw something else up.

Also, I found that some leaves were clogging the line...after I cleared these out, the system is operating as it should EXCEPT for the guage.

Lastly, I live in the U.S. in south Louisiana......high heat and humidity...always fighting algae. Would you please give me your opinion on:
1) Salt water pool systems
2) The Pool Wizard Sanitizer
3) any other recommended solution

MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Thank you!
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 17:16

I think you should be fine changing the gauge yourself it unscrews and a new one with thread tape screws in.

I am Australian and like salt systems.

PM me for more information
lkelley

Pool Motor

Postby lkelley » Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:49

Hi, I have a Hayward pool motor for my over ground pool, It is about 2 years old. It has started making a loud grinding noise. Is there anything I can do? Will W-D 40 help? :(

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”