I have Hydration Stains. Need a way to prove it.

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
infoseeker
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby infoseeker » Tue 06 Mar, 2007 23:47

Is there any way to test stains to verify if they are caused by hydration?

I had a pool built and it immediately had Grey stains. They blamed it on copper and tried 2 months of copper removing stain products. Finally they re plastered the pool. Stains came back much worse. Every pool expert I talk to including manufacturers of the plaster have told me it is hydrations stains, but nobody will put it in writing! The pool installer still swears it is copper stains despite my state certified lab tested my copper level at .05ppm.

Now they are blaming it on poor water chemistry. All the experts I talked to say that although water chemistry can cause stains they don't see any relation to my stains. I get my water checked and adjusted weekly.

The stains are in the deep end of the pool from the skimmer to the other side. Kidney shaped pool. Quartz Aggregate plater finish. All grayish in color. all different sizes circles, streaks, footprints, etc...

When the pool was re plastered the finish of the plaster was horrible. Rough areas through out the pool walls and the thickness of the plaster varies from just under the tile line to over 1inch out from the tile line. Trowel marks everywhere on wall surface. Extremely rough surface areas that feel like 40 grit sand paper. There are also vertical black streaks on most wall surfaces that I have been told was from improper acid washing. There are many areas of cream still on the plaster so obviously it was not acid washed very good.

Two other houses in the same block have the same problem all built by the same company at the same time. All other houses in the neighborhood with other companies have no problems with their pools. The pool company finally said they will re plaster the pool again if I can prove it is hydration.

I need to find a way to test them so I can verify they are hydration stains.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 07 Mar, 2007 15:24

I think the best way to proceed is to serve the company with notice. The onus is not on you to prove hydration, it is on them to disprove it.

I think i would write and give them 30 days to completely remedy the issue or refund your money so you can have the works completed by another contractor.

HTH
infoseeker
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby infoseeker » Wed 07 Mar, 2007 18:06

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately I have already done this. They replied to this letter that they had no idea what we were talking about.

Small claims court is limited to $5000, this won't cover fixing the pool and I can't afford to go to regular court as the lawyer tells me that he will charge at a minimum several thousand dollars. I have already spent $1000 on the lawyer.
I then filed a complaint with the County Building Commission. We had a hearing before them and he blamed the stains on my water maintenance. They all seemed to ignore the facts about the condition of the plaster, and the installer never made any references to that part of the problem. The Building commission decided they had no jurisdiction in the matter.

What they decided finally was that I am to obtain an expert and the installer will obtain an expert and both experts will decide what caused the stains. If they are hydration the installer will re plaster the pool. If they are determined to be water balance related the installer will be off the hook. I believe this would be fruitless, the installer will obviously choose someone that will say the stains are caused by water balance and I would select someone to say the opposite. Thats why I am looking for a 100% way to test for hydration stains that can't be disputed.

Any more suggestions out there please?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 08 Mar, 2007 14:13

What was the water balance you were working to?
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:17

hydration can be cured using an acid start-up procedure. information can be found online or by reading Randy Dukes book, "pool surfaces, problems and solutions" which can be purchased by contacting the national plasterers council. hydration doesn't happen with proper start up procedures. This still doesn't fix your rough plaster due to under and over exposure of the quartz.
moving5

hydration marks

Postby moving5 » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:27

I have been going through the same thing with my new construction pool. Right after the plaster company left I took pictures of all the marks as the pool was filling with water. They tried to tell me it was something in my water when I made them come look at the pool. I then showed the pictures that it was that way before it was filled. They admitted it was hydration marks, waited the 30 days curing time, drained the pool, acid washed it(leaving the acid wash in the bottom of my pool for a week now), and it looks even worse. They now are going to take a heat torch to it and told me this will fix it. I am sick over how much money we spent on putting in this pool, and how we are being treated now by the pool company. I know this does not help your situation, but am curious to hear where you end up it. Good Luck!

Postby Guest » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 21:47

We just had a pool put in and after over a month of having the water in we are noticing dark areas in the pool. I thought it was were the pool cleaner was missing. The person sent out to show us how everything works states it is normal. The only place it is darker, is were our returns are and in spot in the middle were it does not look like our pool cleaner goes. We asked for acid bath start up and were shot down. We were told this was the best way to go. They did all kinds of chemicals today and we were told to stay out for 24 hours. Only time will tell.

Postby Guest » Fri 01 May, 2009 17:56

Your problem is common when the plaster crew is in-experienced ..The rough spots were exposed to soon and the cream is from improper cleaning ..When doing exposed finishes the crew must be consistent and have experience
rickgor

Postby rickgor » Fri 10 Jun, 2011 22:39

I have my pool re done 4 years ago and still use the same company to mantain it today. About 6 months ago we started getting some large stains that only show up when there is no direct sunlight on the pool. the pool company said it was hydration and the the marsite company is now out of buisness. I then paid them $1,400.00 to drain the pool and acid was it and the pool looked perfect again. Now 6 months later the pool is 10 times as bad! Again only when the pool is not in direct sun light. When the pool is not shaded by the house and the sun is high in the sky the pool looks perfect. Is this really hydration or just bad service??
SSullivan

Postby SSullivan » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 09:56

I you believe you may have a problem with hydration, give the techs at Jack's Magic a call. They have a great solution that involves only needing to purchase acid! They are very knowledgeable on this issue and can save your pool.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”