Pool pump burnt out - is this a ripofff?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
raz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool pump burnt out - is this a ripofff?

Postby raz » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 00:25

OK, I bought a house with a pretty old system a few years ago and it looks like the pump's burnt out. I have a pool guy (I know - you guys probably hate them - I know I hate myself for having one)

Now, he tells me the pump needs to be replaced - he says he'll buy a Pentair pump and install it for the tune of $770. I'm not sure what model - something about an S+ (it's kind of hard to understand him)

My question is two-fold. First, is this a good deal? With my limited knowledge should I just let him do it? Or do you have any other suggestions on brands and/or advice for me?

Also, should I look into a new system altogether? I'm not sure how many gallons the pool is but the pool guy recommended a 1HP pump.(Underground pool BTW) My wife keeps asking me about saline etc. She hates the chlorine... Any and all comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 10:35

First of all I have a salt generator which produces chlorine. It is lower on pool chemical cost since you use water softner salt maybe once per year. It is wonderful doesn't burn you eyes or fayed you clothes. Well worth it!!

As far as the pump I would go with doing it your self and save $340.00. If it is like mine it only requires you to wire it and attach to plumbing which is pretty simple to do. Lowes or Home Depot could assit in both of these if you do not know how to do it. A new Pentair wisper flow pump will cost you $432.00 at Leslies pools.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 16:58

Alternatively if your pool guy has been looking after your pool and you are happy with his service maybe you can consider paying him to fit the pump. Look at it this way, he is looking after your pool probably at a reduced rate counting on equipment replacement to top his income up. Sure you can shop around and then perhaps approach him on price but at the end of the day if he is looking after your pool as long as he is not charging you double then get him to do it.

As for a salt chlorinator you may find with an older system the on costs are large. It is very wise to rid your pool of any metallic components including filters, return nozzles and the like (ladders are generally ok). You also should check with the pool surround supplier (assuming it is stone or brick) to ensure it is suited to seawater application and if not have it sealed.

HTH

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”