Algae Problem...Please Help!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Sbilz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Algae Problem...Please Help!

Postby Sbilz » Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:42

I took a peak under the cover and the bottom of my pool is covered with algae. Stopped by a couple of places and haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone and what I've been told its going to cost me big bucks to get rid of the problem. Do I really have to lay out all this money in chemicals that only they can put in? Then they have to come vacuum it out because if I do it is going to clog my pipes and mess up my filter. Don't add anything with out running the filter but I can't run the filter or I'll have a bigger problem. Also was told that maybe I should drain it and clean it that way but again someone else says you should never drain a pool.

So I'm really confused on where to even start. I've read something about just adding bleach and vacuuming it waste. Do I need to do anything before doing this or do I just take the cover off and dump it in? The pool came with the house so we are fairly new at all of this...it will be our third summer.

Sarah

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2007 16:26

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear you are getting conflicting advice from so called experts.

The filter clogging thing refers to D.E. filters. The pipe clogging thing is bs.

I would remove the cover. Increase the chlorine level to 20 mg/l. wait 24 hours and if the pool is cloudy hit it again, until I can vaccum to waste. That should do the trick for you.

HTH
Sbilz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Sbilz » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 16:58

I have a sand filter so this shouldn't effect me.

From what I see you can add 1 gal of bleach for 1000 gal of water. Is that correct?

Will give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks
Sarah
Sbilz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Sbilz » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 15:26

Ok. I killed the algae and the water doesn't look green any more. I vacuumed a lot and it looks a lot better. Have let it sit but Its still cloudy....Now what?
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 16:31

Keep the chlorine high and run the filter non stop. Add some clarifier if you like to speed the process up, and have the water re-balanced properly.

HTH

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”