Cinderblock pool walls?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
cwalker1960
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 40 rectangular gunite pool with attached spa and kiddie pool. Cast stone coping with waterfall off the kiddie pool. Goldline automation .

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby cwalker1960 » Sat 27 Feb, 2010 04:38

Okay the 8' x 15' out the ground 3 ' If you pour the block full, I'm sure you'll be fine . If you really want to be sure put bond reinforcement wire in every few courses.
And it's none of my business, to each his own, but why are building a 15' long lap pool? practice turnarounds? Don't kick off too hard. On the other hand though , you could install a badu jet and get in some decent swimming.
About the shotcrete/gunite thing. i know all of you have already found out that a gunite pool costs a gazillion dollars. pool contractors typically mark their pools up 50 to 100 %. that means a pool they gave you a price of $30,000.00 for cost them 15 to 20 thousand to build.WOW!! what a markup. There really is a reason behind this madness.
As a business they have to realize that there is a potential for something to go extremely wrong. So essentially they are getting enough money to build every pool twice.
The shotdcete guys aren't the ones getting rich here , and if you take a few moments to do the numbers i do believe you will find it worth your time to sub this part out. Not to mention the fact that by using shotcrete instead of block you can have your pool any shape your heart desires and benches where ever and steps any shape or size. I'ts truly amazing.
You're not going to use much more steel, probably not a whole lot more concrete, it's done in one day , yep floor walls benches steps spa , everything , over with ,, Yes the shotcrete material is a little more expensive than deck mix ,, but you still have to fill those block and that's pump mix , oops , and you probably want to hire a pump any how to pump the block walls full unless you're planning on using bag mix , which will work out to be considerably higher than pump mix. probably could have hired that pump.
Block isn't old school because we are trying to take your money , it's old school because there are better faster more practical ways to do the job. . for more help and information

shrek12

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby shrek12 » Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:18

hi do the block walls need to have some sort of waterproofing done to them before plastering them.
thanks
Larry wrote:
nota wrote:solid concrete bottom and filled block walls

I think this is the key. Unfilled cinderblock will result in cracking over time and may not provide the absolute durability/ rigidity a pool requires.
txkiwi

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby txkiwi » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:00

I'm also about to start a DIY concrete block pool (solid poured). Vinyl liners seem to be the way to go vs. plastered finish. My last question before moving on this is what structural engineering is required for getting a building permit? (7-8 courses on blocks). I see I can by standard structurals for shotcrete pools, but does anyone have similar engineering details for cinder block pools?
niaco1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 40 year old cement block pool with a liner.

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby niaco1 » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 14:45

I have the same problem, did you find out how to fix

Block Pool wrote:40 Year Old Pool,
We moved into a house where the previous owners did just as your dad did. Ours is still in great shape too!

Last year we had a hole in the liner (and didnt know it then). We thought there was a leak in the main drain, thanks to a local pool company. We removed our liner with no chance of putting it back in. When we removed the liner, we have found that there are two or three blocks that have moved away from the wall.

Have you ever had to "push" a block or two back in place? They are out approx 1-1/2 inches. How can you fix this?

Also, what do you use to "paint the pool"? Im getting tired of the expensive liners every five years or so. Have to buy one this year since we destroyed ours last year.

Thanks!!
Jax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Planning on building a pool/spa

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Jax » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 20:25

I don't see too much sucess in home build stories, but I will keep checking back. I plan on building a large hot tub with formed and reinforced concrete. Looks doable to me. And this site looks like it can offer plenty of suggestions on care and maitaince as maybe some suggestions on building too.
kenected

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby kenected » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 14:17

cwalker thanks for the recommendation on my cinder block pool. I would say that you are right to pour floor & wall footing at same time. I just am finishing the plumbing now and am ready to start the pour. I also will be setting my starter course into the footing to prevent cracking at that area. I started with 1/2" rebar but was told to use 3/8". I also was told that the shotcrete guys use only 3/8" with a 1' x 1' grid pattern. Any thoughts on this?
Thank You
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Xclusive » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:16

kenected wrote: I started with 1/2" rebar but was told to use 3/8". I also was told that the shotcrete guys use only 3/8" with a 1' x 1' grid pattern. Any thoughts on this?
Thank You

Sorry for chiming in but your project looks interesting I figured I could answer this question. The main reason 3/8" is used is because it's strong enough but yet it can be easily bent and shaped at the same time. But i see no issue with you using 1/2" if you can manage to achieve the shape you want for your project. As far as the grid pattern I would definately stick to 1'x1' since it gives you the correct density for strenght.

cwalker correct me if i'm wrong!
41 year old pool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby 41 year old pool » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 22:33

Update: pool is now 41 years old , this year it required a minor repair down to the block level (apparent cause was a gap in the poured concrete that did not completely fill one block - so be careful you get the blocks completely filled) but other than that just normal spring opening procedure as outlined above.

Attached pictures are from 2009.
pool1.jpg
pool1.jpg (148.78 KiB) Viewed 28430 times

pool3.jpg
pool3.jpg (129.7 KiB) Viewed 28411 times

I have never seen any problems with popped blocks or cracking in the plaster as mentioned in some other posts. This seems to be a reliable and durable method of pool construction, 41 years and counting.

The following is not a problem with the pool itself but with the surrounding deck - if you look closely you will see that the flagstone deck has settled around the pool, this would be avoided by ensuring complete separation of the deck built on the pool wall from the surrounding deck area + use a proper depth of tamped stone-dust as a base for the surrounding deck.

Also should have mentioned previously - if you live in a high water table area be sure to include a pressure relief valve in the drain hole - this will allow any water present under the pool to flow in when pool is empty, avoiding possible buckling of the floor. As an aside - the floor of this pool is still in in great shape.

Apologies for lengthy posts - I hope they have helped you with your decisions / plans.
cwalker1960
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20 x 40 rectangular gunite pool with attached spa and kiddie pool. Cast stone coping with waterfall off the kiddie pool. Goldline automation .

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby cwalker1960 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:59

# 3 or 3/8 rebar is pretty much the standard for residential pools , Occasionally 1/2 " is used on some of the larger commercial pools . 12" grids are fine , if the pool is over 6' in the deep end we put transition bars down the shallow break to about half way up the wall in the deep end to create 6" x 12" grids.. Just a little insurance that the break or the deep end floor doesn't crack.

As for the other members question, no waterproofing is required prior to plastering, The plaster is the waterproofing. Bond coating is recommended if there is any question as to whether or not the plaster will bond properly.

and lastly , I wasn't trying to talk down concrete block pools , If you're up for the work it is doable method to build a pool and properly constructed, should last for many years. I just don't see the huge savings in it myself.
legendarybear
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am planning a do-it-yourself block pool

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby legendarybear » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 13:06

funinthesun wrote:i am also attemptimg to do an inground pool with blocks this summer. it is surely a reliable way to construct a pool. i am still in the research steps myself, but i have some things to think about. one being your plumbing and electrical. drilling through filled blocks and rebar is a nightmare, so it is crucial i think to get all your plumbing and fixtures in before you fill the blocks. another thing is your backfill process. to relieve stress on your walls it may be a good idea to have your pool ready for water prior to backfilling the dirt. this gives you an opportunity to test all your plumbing and electrical before it is covered up. also you are able to fill the pool as you fill in the dirt allowing an even pressure to both sides of your walls. this will relieve stress on the walls. as i go further in my project i will update my progress. best of luck in your projects :thumbup:

I was wonderiing if you finished this project and how did it turn out. Would like to see some pictures if possible. I am fixing to take on this challenge and would love to know what not to do. Thanks for taking your time to reply :crazy:
madenunzio

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby madenunzio » Tue 03 May, 2011 18:45

dmay85 wrote:So, if I understand you all correctly, cinder block pools are old school but reliable, and notably cheaper that nearly any other in ground option. I am thinking of doing this myslef next year...hire a guy to dig the hole, run the electric, and the rest myself. Is this an example of the industry making something more complicated than it has to be so us mere mortals won't attempt it without all their overpaid help?

Did you ever build this pool? I would like to know how it turned out as I am considering doing the same thing myself this year
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Tue 03 May, 2011 21:13

It is funny how some people still view a construction worker as overpaid if he makes $30-$40.00 per hour.
Don't haul that dirt too far from the property. You may need it for backfill when you realize that you bit more than you can chew.
I have spend my whole life on construction jobs, would probably have the courage and enough professional tools to built a vacation home, but would never attempt to built a pool by myself.
And believe me, I have built a lot in the last 40+ years.
The pitty of the thing is, that you may reach a point where you will be too far along to quit, but way too far to finish. And no one will will be willng to touch this kind of endeavour.
That is the point we call in the industry "where the thick is comming to the thin".
Some lessons come cheap, some not as cheap. This may rate the "quite expensive".
Hunterdave

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Hunterdave » Sun 29 May, 2011 15:01

czechmate wrote:It is funny how some people still view a construction worker as overpaid if he makes $30-$40.00 per hour.
Don't haul that dirt too far from the property. You may need it for backfill when you realize that you bit more than you can chew.
I have spend my whole life on construction jobs, would probably have the courage and enough professional tools to built a vacation home, but would never attempt to built a pool by myself.
And believe me, I have built a lot in the last 40+ years.
The pitty of the thing is, that you may reach a point where you will be too far along to quit, but way too far to finish. And no one will will be willng to touch this kind of endeavour.
That is the point we call in the industry "where the thick is comming to the thin".
Some lessons come cheap, some not as cheap. This may rate the "quite expensive".

No one said anything about a construction worker. Some people have abilities outside of their normal
profession. I am not a carpenter by trade ,but I built a 4000' sq ft log house myself. Being raised on a
farm, by necessity, I became a master carpenter, a great welder and fabricator,a plumber,an electrician,
a mechanic, appliance repairman and many others. I am a "jack of all trades". I promises you I can build
a pool for myself with greater detail and quality than someone paid to do it for me.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 09:09

[quote="Hunterdave
No one said anything about a construction worker. Some people have abilities outside of their normal
profession. I am not a carpenter by trade ,but I built a 4000' sq ft log house myself. Being raised on a
farm, by necessity, I became a master carpenter, a great welder and fabricator,a plumber, an electrician,
a mechanic, appliance repairman and many others. I am a "jack of all trades". I promises you I can build
a pool for myself with greater detail and quality than someone paid to do it for me.[/quote]

With all due respect to your unusual talent to absorb all the education (while working on the farm), that normal, as talented people take several years and state tests to accomplish, you overlooking one little fact.
Log home can be built for 6 years without even slightly affecting the structural or cosmetic results. (The Saint Vitas cathedral in Prague was finished after 500 years).
The plaster application on normal size pool on the other hand has to be finished in a few hours or you will end up with a disaster. From hairline cracks, burnt surface, discoloration and loss surface integrity due to premature curing. There is a reason that normal plaster crew has 6 people. The fact, that knowledgeble and responsible contractor will not even start plastering in the 10mph breeze, due to the premature drying, should give you a hint.
It can be done by dividing the surface into a managable pattern sections with a mosaic tile that you can finish in a few hours. Fine mist of water will delay cracking. It remains still crucial to start filling the pool in the afternoon to minimize the hairline cracking.
It is nice to have a self esteem and trust in yourself.
It is something else to be ignorant to physics and chemistry facts.
MrGorn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32x4. Cinder block with liner

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby MrGorn » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 18:34

I built my pool out of cinder block. It turned out real nice and is very much a doable project. get yourself a good set of plans. I used "pool in a box" and it is well worth the money. The only problem I have had is the liner. I live in Arizona and they just dont last long enough. I built mine for 5k, which is a huge savings. I am going to pour a concrete floor and plaster sides.If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”