Cinderblock pool walls?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
madenunzio

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby madenunzio » Tue 03 May, 2011 18:45

dmay85 wrote:So, if I understand you all correctly, cinder block pools are old school but reliable, and notably cheaper that nearly any other in ground option. I am thinking of doing this myslef next year...hire a guy to dig the hole, run the electric, and the rest myself. Is this an example of the industry making something more complicated than it has to be so us mere mortals won't attempt it without all their overpaid help?

Did you ever build this pool? I would like to know how it turned out as I am considering doing the same thing myself this year

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Tue 03 May, 2011 21:13

It is funny how some people still view a construction worker as overpaid if he makes $30-$40.00 per hour.
Don't haul that dirt too far from the property. You may need it for backfill when you realize that you bit more than you can chew.
I have spend my whole life on construction jobs, would probably have the courage and enough professional tools to built a vacation home, but would never attempt to built a pool by myself.
And believe me, I have built a lot in the last 40+ years.
The pitty of the thing is, that you may reach a point where you will be too far along to quit, but way too far to finish. And no one will will be willng to touch this kind of endeavour.
That is the point we call in the industry "where the thick is comming to the thin".
Some lessons come cheap, some not as cheap. This may rate the "quite expensive".
Hunterdave

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Hunterdave » Sun 29 May, 2011 15:01

czechmate wrote:It is funny how some people still view a construction worker as overpaid if he makes $30-$40.00 per hour.
Don't haul that dirt too far from the property. You may need it for backfill when you realize that you bit more than you can chew.
I have spend my whole life on construction jobs, would probably have the courage and enough professional tools to built a vacation home, but would never attempt to built a pool by myself.
And believe me, I have built a lot in the last 40+ years.
The pitty of the thing is, that you may reach a point where you will be too far along to quit, but way too far to finish. And no one will will be willng to touch this kind of endeavour.
That is the point we call in the industry "where the thick is comming to the thin".
Some lessons come cheap, some not as cheap. This may rate the "quite expensive".

No one said anything about a construction worker. Some people have abilities outside of their normal
profession. I am not a carpenter by trade ,but I built a 4000' sq ft log house myself. Being raised on a
farm, by necessity, I became a master carpenter, a great welder and fabricator,a plumber,an electrician,
a mechanic, appliance repairman and many others. I am a "jack of all trades". I promises you I can build
a pool for myself with greater detail and quality than someone paid to do it for me.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 09:09

[quote="Hunterdave
No one said anything about a construction worker. Some people have abilities outside of their normal
profession. I am not a carpenter by trade ,but I built a 4000' sq ft log house myself. Being raised on a
farm, by necessity, I became a master carpenter, a great welder and fabricator,a plumber, an electrician,
a mechanic, appliance repairman and many others. I am a "jack of all trades". I promises you I can build
a pool for myself with greater detail and quality than someone paid to do it for me.[/quote]

With all due respect to your unusual talent to absorb all the education (while working on the farm), that normal, as talented people take several years and state tests to accomplish, you overlooking one little fact.
Log home can be built for 6 years without even slightly affecting the structural or cosmetic results. (The Saint Vitas cathedral in Prague was finished after 500 years).
The plaster application on normal size pool on the other hand has to be finished in a few hours or you will end up with a disaster. From hairline cracks, burnt surface, discoloration and loss surface integrity due to premature curing. There is a reason that normal plaster crew has 6 people. The fact, that knowledgeble and responsible contractor will not even start plastering in the 10mph breeze, due to the premature drying, should give you a hint.
It can be done by dividing the surface into a managable pattern sections with a mosaic tile that you can finish in a few hours. Fine mist of water will delay cracking. It remains still crucial to start filling the pool in the afternoon to minimize the hairline cracking.
It is nice to have a self esteem and trust in yourself.
It is something else to be ignorant to physics and chemistry facts.
MrGorn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32x4. Cinder block with liner

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby MrGorn » Sun 01 Jan, 2012 18:34

I built my pool out of cinder block. It turned out real nice and is very much a doable project. get yourself a good set of plans. I used "pool in a box" and it is well worth the money. The only problem I have had is the liner. I live in Arizona and they just dont last long enough. I built mine for 5k, which is a huge savings. I am going to pour a concrete floor and plaster sides.If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Wed 04 Jan, 2012 16:23

MrGorn wrote:I built my pool out of cinder block. It turned out real nice and is very much a doable project. get yourself a good set of plans. I used "pool in a box" and it is well worth the money. The only problem I have had is the liner. I live in Arizona and they just dont last long enough. I built mine for 5k, which is a huge savings. I am going to pour a concrete floor and plaster sides.If any of you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

"Real nice" could be a pretty subjective term.
A new fiberglass Trabant car for an East German family back in 60's was a "real nice car" as well.
One word of caution. Before you plunge into plastering the walls, check into the procedure in a detail.
It may save you money, when someone else will have to jack hammer it of.
(Plaster is not a stucco that you can work on the 3 consecutive weekends).
lrr

my pool is block but no liner

Postby lrr » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 15:27

nota wrote:my pool is block but no liner solid concrete bottom and filled block walls
the large 38x18 poolwas built in 1955 and they just donot build them like that any more do to costs
we are in miami
beth1366
I'm new here
I'm new here

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby beth1366 » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 15:17

I am building a cinder block pool next spring. it will be 30x 18 x 5 deep, poured floor, filled walls. My question is...do i have to plaster? I am using Apoxy paint to seal block and floor.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 21:28

beth1366 wrote:I am building a cinder block pool next spring. it will be 30x 18 x 5 deep, poured floor, filled walls. My question is...do i have to plaster? I am using Apoxy paint to seal block and floor.

It is downright hilarious doing this kind of research here.
Ask reliable builder, mason or a civil engineer.
Just for example: there is about 100 recipes on the web for a plain "Venison ham roast".
About 85 of those are completely wrong and useless!
I know, I have been hunting whitetail last 40 years.
So good luck!
beth1366
I'm new here
I'm new here

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby beth1366 » Fri 10 Aug, 2012 18:51

Thanks so much for your imput...I really apreciate it!! :evil: :shock:
tklash

my pool is block but no liner

Postby tklash » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 17:24

nota wrote:my pool is block but no liner solid concrete bottom and filled block walls
the large 38x18 poolwas built in 1955 and they just donot build them like that any more do to costs
we are in miami

I thought about covering the cracks with West Epoxy System. The large cracks were previously filled with "SikoFlex", a flexible putty substance.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Whiskey Tango Foxtrot » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 22:18

czechmate wrote:
beth1366 wrote:I am building a cinder block pool next spring. it will be 30x 18 x 5 deep, poured floor, filled walls. My question is...do i have to plaster? I am using Apoxy paint to seal block and floor.

It is downright hilarious doing this kind of research here.
Ask reliable builder, mason or a civil engineer.
Just for example: there is about 100 recipes on the web for a plain "Venison ham roast".
About 85 of those are completely wrong and useless!
I know, I have been hunting whitetail last 40 years.
So good luck!

So why are you such a jack ass?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby czechmate » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 14:30

You wrote this all by yourself, or did parents helped you with it? :wave:
jmateosky
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: small concrete block

Cinderblock pool walls, what finish?

Postby jmateosky » Thu 09 May, 2013 12:43

Hi,

I am from outside the usa so I do not have access to
pebbletek or marcite....so am planning on using paint, or is there something better?
What are the downsides of using paint, chemical ?
All input is welcome.
Thanks,
Jm

Cinderblock pool walls?

Postby Guest » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 19:23

If the floor and footer are poured at the same time and the first course of block later, what joins the block wall to the footer? That is, how do you prevent the wall from separating from the floor?

cwalker1960 wrote:Not filling the block is fine if you plan on putting in a vinyl liner. This is not acceptable if the pool is to be plastered. Plaster doesn't give, it cracks.
As for pouring a footer , laying the block walls then pouring the floor,, if you're planning on plastering this pool , it wouldn't be the way I would go about it. Footers can settle , then you have a leak around the perimeter of the pool. With the footer dug as you have described , tie all the steel in the floor and pour the footer and floor at one time ,, then lay the block. We pour floors on big commercial pools all the time ,, I'm talking 70' by 150' by 17' deep. and this is how we do it. I have seen pools with the floor poured later and they leak period.
ool

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”