Pump sounds like a washing machine!!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
steq184
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pump sounds like a washing machine!!

Postby steq184 » Tue 04 Oct, 2005 12:07

Have got the pool all filled up, have backwashed, have rinsed and then put it on filtration. The trouble is that the pump sounds like a washing machine.
The filter pressure is zero, then the pump fills with water from the skimmer and it goes up to 8psi, then the water goes in the filter and pressure back down to zero.
Have turned the pump off as not sure if I'm doing any damage etc.
Any ideas?

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Nov, 2005 19:56

Sounds like your pump is sucking air from some source. If your pool water is not high enough in your skimmers they will drain too fast and suck air. Also you could have a leak in your plumbing at some point or the top might not be screwed tightly on your pump screen. Also I don't know about the age of your pump or the style but the impeller could be worn out so that it cannot push water fast enough. Last but not least one or more of your skimmers could be clogged possibly far down the plumbing where you cannot easiy see it. They could have suck in a pool toy or an article of clothing.
mgrubb

pump sounds like washing machine

Postby mgrubb » Wed 30 Nov, 2005 19:58

Sounds like your pump is sucking air from some source. If your pool water is not high enough in your skimmers they will drain too fast and suck air. Also you could have a leak in your plumbing at some point or the top might not be screwed tightly on your pump screen. Also I don't know about the age of your pump or the style but the impeller could be worn out so that it cannot push water fast enough. Last but not least one or more of your skimmers could be clogged possibly far down the plumbing where you cannot easiy see it. They could have suck in a pool toy or an article of clothing.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”