Swimming pool bugs that bite

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
coonie

Postby coonie » Sun 09 Oct, 2005 12:53

I have been bitten several times by bugs or insects in my outdoor pool. Size 24 x 40. Some look like flying ants. Others are very small black bugs that have a pointed tail and look like a small piece of a leaf. What are these? How can I treat these bites? How can I get rid of them from my pool? Valerie Coons - coonsvandc@sympatico.ca.

Pool Bug

Biting bugs in pool

Postby Pool Bug » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:18

Gosh! Sounds awful.

Have you got any pictures of the bugs?

I expect it would be better to get rid of the biters, but to relieve the bites in the interim you could try rubbing alcohol or an antihistamine cream.
pemoye

ants w/wings in pool

Postby pemoye » Tue 06 Jun, 2006 12:04

We've had a pool for 30 years and have had swarms of these b@stards intermittently every summer. They seem to be most prominent after a hard rain and for some reason, this summer they are the worst I can remember. The bad news is, there is no way to prevent them, the good news is, they are relatively harmless (although really annoying!). After all of these years we have resigned ourselves to scooping them up with the skimmers (leaf rake works best) and spraying them with a common household insecticide (Raid). If you don't spray them or find some way to kill them, they WILL fly/crawl right back in your pool. It usually takes us a half a day or longer to get rid of each swarm. GOOD LUCK!
domesticdon

Postby domesticdon » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 15:49

i'm in south florida inground pool water about 90. whenever i go in no matter for how long something in the water causes my skin to break into a rash. do not feel anything biting while in, cannot see anything in the water. soon as i am out skin breaks out and itch like hell. i have shocked the the no luck, seems worse in the heat of summer. any ideas or solutions for a remedy or cure?
POOL GURL
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Maintain water chemistry and service over 150 pools weekly. Residential and commertial 'health dept. regulated pools". I have been in the pool industry for over 5 years.

Postby POOL GURL » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 19:03

Most insects can be killed by superchlorinating "bringing the ch level up to 10ppm or higher".... the itching that the second poster is haveing is most likely due to a PH imbalance... try to keep ph at 7.4 to 7.6 and avoid test strips to get a good reading. buy a taylor test kit... usually itching is more commen when ph is low "more acidic"... I get really itchy if im in a pool with low ph but I have also had a bad itch fest when I cleaned a pool that was fiberglass and unknown to myself and the owner at that time the finish was so old that the fiberglass underneath was rubbing off the walls "no fun"
Chloomis

Re: Swimming pool bugs that bite

Postby Chloomis » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 12:15

My pool is 12,000 gallons and I use around 1/2 cup of the blue Dawn dish soap in the water and I no longer have problems with bugs in the pool. I use to have a terrible problem with the tiny biting bugs, but this takes care of it.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 07:11

Hello,
To prevent from the swimming pool bugs that bite you should add chlorine shock (calcium hypochlorite). You can also use standard cooking oil.
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:01

I suggest you should use the pool enclosures to prevent from small bugs. Pool enclosures turn any outdoor pool into an indoor pool, protecting you from wind, rain, insects and debris, while leaving you with the view and sunshine you’ve always enjoyed.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:11

Chloomis wrote:My pool is 12,000 gallons and I use around 1/2 cup of the blue Dawn dish soap in the water and I no longer have problems with bugs in the pool. I use to have a terrible problem with the tiny biting bugs, but this takes care of it.

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,
To prevent from the swimming pool bugs that bite you should add chlorine shock (calcium hypochlorite). You can also use standard cooking oil.

This is so wrong on so many levels. Soap reduces the surface tension of the water so insects will sink but more importantly the surface tension is one of the mechanisms that makes a filter work, reducing that with any surfactant will flush out the dirt, algae and bacteria in the filter right back into the pool.

Using oil, cooking or other will coat all of the filtration in an oily coating preventing it from doing it's job and chlorine use will go sharply up as it tries to break down the oil which it is slow to do so your chlorine level will drop and most likely your pool will turn green.

Stupid ideas, do not do it.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”