Chlorine Calculation

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
rdnyva
I'm new here
I'm new here

Chlorine Calculation

Postby rdnyva » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:08

I have a 28,000 gallon in ground pool. If I start out with zero chlorine when I open the pool how much should I initially add? What should the nornal level of Chlorine be? Thanks.

Re: Chlorine Calculation

Postby Guest » Thu 26 Apr, 2007 14:39

I have had my pool open for 5 days now and every thing is nice and clear after adding in about 5 gallons of bleach and using a few packets of shock and running the fliter for 24/hr a day since I opened.

Here is my issue.. when i use the test strips I show pretty much 0 free cholrine. I have put in a new online feeder and have 5 or so pucks in there now, but it seems I keep using up chlorine.
Me...

Postby Me... » Fri 27 Apr, 2007 11:34

Test strips are like that granola bar you eat on the way out the door to work in the AM because you didnt have time to eat a proper breakfast. They work, but there is nothing like a good drop test kit.

Puck feeders are a good way to add pucks, but I would recommend only adding one or two as needed and keep the flow up through the feeder. It will tend to maintain a more even chlorine level.

Whatever chlorine you use should have a "recipe" on the label for dose vs chlorine level. It will most likely be close. How long that (free) chlorine lasts depends mainly on organic load and combined chlorine. If you have combined chlorine in your pool the chlorine will starting getting used up trying to "superchlorinate" before it gets a chance to "shock" and then be left over as a "free" residual. Simplistic? Ya, but true.
me_too

Re: Chlorine Calculation

Postby me_too » Tue 08 May, 2007 06:30

rdnyva wrote:I have a 28,000 gallon in ground pool. If I start out with zero chlorine when I open the pool how much should I initially add? What should the nornal level of Chlorine be? Thanks.

About 20 ppm, this translates into 3261 grams of 65% chlorine for your size pool.

Return to “Chlorine”