TA AND PH ALL WACKY

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
megahot1

TA AND PH ALL WACKY

Postby megahot1 » Sat 28 Apr, 2007 17:47

I HAVE A POOL 28FT DOUGHBOY WITH EXPANDABLE LINER, WITH A WEDGE BOTTOM I CALCULATE A 30,000 GALLON CAPACITY
OK LAST YEAR I HAD YELLOW ALGIE FOR ALL YEAR ANS THIS YEAR I WENT TO OPEN IT VAC IT OUT AND DUMPED MOST WATER LEAVING THE BOTTOM COVERED AND TRIED TREATING IT WITH YELLOW RID HTH
SHOCK AND THEN REFILLED IT AGAIN ADDING YELLOW RID TO TREAT SPORES OUT OF THE WATER, WENT AND TRIED TO HAVE THE ALKILINITY CHECKED AND THEY SAID ADD ALK UP IT WAS LOW I DID EVEN THOUGH MY TEST SHOWED IT HIGH, RESULT REAL CLOUDY WATER
SO CALLED HTH AND THEY SAID LOWER IT AND TRY TO RAISE PH WHICH WAS BELOW SCALE TEST WAS LIKE THE CHLORINE YELLOW,
ADDED MURATIC ACID AND LOWERED T/A WAIT 2 HOURS AND TRY TO RAISE PH WHICH RAISES T/A AT SAME TIME, TRIED WAITING 24 HOURS WITH T/A AT 80 AND RAISING THE PH WHEN IT IS AT 6.8 NOW T/A HAS SPIKED AGAIN TO 120, DO YOU KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS TO CONTINUE HAPPENING.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 16:53

What are the current pH and TA readings?

What is happening is the pH and TA are linked. Low pH is only indicative of addition of acid not necessarily indicative of requirement for TA.

Lets see where you are doing nothing and lets start fixing this up.
megahot1

t/a and ph

Postby megahot1 » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:40

RIGHT NOW THE POOL IS AT 190 T/A, PH IS ABOUT 7.2 LEANING TOWARD 7.6 COLOR, ALSO THIS MAY NOT BE IMPORTANT BUT POOL MIGHT POSSIBLY BE OVER TREATED WITH YELLOW RID IF THAT AFFECTS ANYTHING.
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:53

get your TA down to around 100 by adding acid...... your ph will then balance out
theresa

help! yellow crud

Postby theresa » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 21:41

Last summer I had my pool and tile completely redone/new pool and tile.
This was very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$the contactor recommended a new pool guy. He sold his route to another guy. For the last month and a half my pool has been getting yellow. I am getting a new pool person but I don't want anyone to damage my pool by doing something stupid. What should I look out for and why the yell? Is it high alkalinity?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 23:42

theresa, have your water tested for metals. I can't think of anything else that would yellow tile like that.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”