I have sand in the bottom of the pool.

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
elaine

I have sand in the bottom of the pool.

Postby elaine » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 15:09

I dont think its a leak. I have a dough boy above ground, I think the sand is coming from the the filter. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

twain220
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby twain220 » Mon 07 May, 2007 17:11

Elaine, you have a broken lateral in your filter if the sand is in the general area as your returns or 'jets'...this means you'll get your sand changed when the lateral is replaced...this job is usually around $150-$200...
diamem

sand in bottom of pool

Postby diamem » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 19:17

twain220 wrote:Elaine, you have a broken lateral in your filter if the sand is in the general area as your returns or 'jets'...this means you'll get your sand changed when the lateral is replaced...this job is usually around $150-$200...

Elaine, I am having same problem for years, had the laterals checked and they are fine, so whats the problem now? anyone, any answers?
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 19:25

You simply need more sand in your filter and thats a fact,,,,,,,,,,,,, read all my posts under ALGAE (POOL DUST SOLVED) for answers it is not cracked laterals or mustard algae...Please beleive I am in my 5th day of having added an extra 50 lb bag of sand to my sand filter and no pool dust at all!!!
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 19:31

Posted on: Sun 24 Sep, 2006 21:27 Subject: pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have been fighting this problem for 4 years!!! Last year I spent hundreds of $ as a result of Dumb ____Pool people telling me it was mustard algae or they know and it boosts buisness, The puddles of brown or milky crud in the bottom of my pool, I researched for 6 hours one day--- some one recomended a company that sells a filter that looks like a vacum bag to be put over the line that puts the water back in your pool after filtering, they also recomend putting 1 on your waste line and you can feed that water back in to the pool, I went to that web site and it's 50.00 a bag. It seems the problem is the small particles your filter is not getting, and it gets worse every year. Now for the brilliant part, I put a thick white sock and rubberbanded it over the line coming in to pool, Problem solved!!!!! It's been 4 weeks, I told my next door neighbor, She did not beleive me, Now she does, I told her she owes me Dinner. Change the sock weekly. My water is sparkling and no crud, none.YEA.........

willowoak

Posted on: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:38 Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW!!! I have had the same prbolem with my pool, for months on end now. I to have spent so much money on pool chemicals to solve my problem, to no avail. This method sounds easy enough to give it a try.
Thanks so much for this information.

kamkuda
Pool Proficient

Thanks for the input, Its not sand, Your right, I too think it's small particles the filter simply does not get and it settles on the bottom of a sparkling clear balanced pool. If i kick it up it dissapates, It does happen only when the filter is on and, lots of people on this board have posted about it,
I'm no pool expert, I just know its been 8 weeks and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

rozebudd
Pool User

Posted on: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 12:41 Subject: Re: pool dust solved, A thanks will do!

Debbie, I started having this same problem last year, and I also have so far spend hundreds trying to rid my pool pf this "mysterey" mustard algea, to NO avail either! I have spent HOURS vacuuming to waste therefore using LOTS, and LOTS of water as well. I had my filter torn apart and cleaned the beginning of this year and put yet more agecide (at $35.00 per bottle) in the pool, vacuumed yet more and STILL TODAY I have these puddles of milky, brown clusters all over the bottom and corners of the pool. I am about to scream and just fill the darn thing in!! It is draining me emotionaly and financially.

Anyway, now that I have that off my chest can you please be more specific as to where you put these socks? I need to try something that isn;t going to cost me so much $$ and see if I can get rid of this junk.

I will buy you dinner if it works.

Posted on: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 20:15 Subject:

Isn't it funny, I had not been on since last year, and here you are, It is not mustard algae!!!. Do not spend more on chemicals till you try this.
The water return pipe in your pool ( Get a finely- tightly woven white sock and the water that blows into the pool put the white sock over it and rubberband it on, Your problem will be solved.
I still wanted to know why this is happening as its very frusterating. and every one I've spoken to with a sand filter has had this same problem and this has solved it for them, in 3 days look at the sock inside out it will be slightly brownish with little particles caught in it, ....o.k. now to the cause we are taking the filter apart to see if there is a cracked lateral on the inside of the filter, i will get back on immediately to give more answers. I'm sorry if I sound like a know it all, I'm actually pretty quiet, but I've really been there with you....

Debbiebe

Posted on: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 21:02 Subject:

O.K. ROZEBUD!! I"M WAITING FOR YOU TO TRY THIS,
Where we going for dinner!!! Deb

deaun who can't sign in
Pool User

Posted on: Sat 02 Jun, 2007 20:42 Subject: pool dust no--algae oh yeah.

Hmmm,
I have a nylon stocking lining the inside of the skimmer basket, and it really really REALLY picks up the small cruddy stuff. All that stuff that zips right through the filter...there it is. So now, I'm going to try "stocking" the return also. Hey, if it's good for the goose!
Cheers!

buddy
Pool User

Posted on: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 22:28 Subject:

I have the exact same issue , brown dirt , vaccumm it up and it is gone ! hours later same crud back in the bottom. What type of socks are you using , is it just plain white sports sock ? I am dying to try.........

i also tried pantyhose but it seems to go right through

law1120

Posted on: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 05:10 Subject:

I've been fighting this problem since last season. I'm definately going to try this.

Debbiebe

Posted on: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:41 Subject: new discoveries

O.K. here we go... I read somewhere a sand filter should be 3/4 full. ours requires 200 lb,which is not quite 1/2 full. Last night we added another 50 lb for a total of 250. I was also not aware that every time you open your large filter and small filter you have to lube your O rings. (lubing the O rings seals it better), we took the sock off and let it go full force last night, , Today there is less dirt on bottom and the flow in to the pool is like the first year we had it, strong flow. My neighbor took his filter apart and laterals were O>K> so we did not go through all that, I'm going to put the sock back on and be happy, for now.
For the person whose pipe does not extend out enough to hook a sock on it ,A House hold vacum extension bar may fit it perfect or a plumming pipe cut a few inches long, . I used some womens white socks that i did not like for me . theyre just tightly woven.
I talked to Recreation Warehouse and Leslies Last night, Had blank look on all their faces??? This is too common a problem. I was told to add some DE also everytime I back wash and that might help, but I should not have to do this, I also think a crack in the laterals might be some thing to it but right now I wan to float in my pool and relax and worry about it later. Deb

Debbiebe

Posted on: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:58 Subject:

Posted on: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 07:57 Subject:
O.k> i could not leave it alone, big storm last night I got in and Cleaned the pool this morning , I decided to leave the sock off all day, It seems adding more sand to the filter has solved my problem of pool dust there is none after 12 hours running the filter on high, as for my previous post. the sand filter I have calls for 200 lbs of sand which is not quite half full, we added another 50 lbs and the problem is gone, 3 years of searching for answers, yeaaaa!, try it you have nothing to loose...good luck

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”