pool deck puddles

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
flybynite

pool deck puddles

Postby flybynite » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 20:10

I just had a deck poured last week. It appeared they did a reasonable job grading the concrete away from the pool towards the deck drain. Unfortunatly, they didn't do as good of a job as I thought. We had a rain the other day and noticed three puddles. The worst one is near the ladder towards the deep end. It appears as the puddle gets bigger, some water flows off to the deck drain, but a little bit flows into the pool.

Question, is that a problem? I know we don't live in a perfect world. I can't imagine a puddle or two being a big deal, but, I wish that one spot didn't flow back into the pool, even a little bit.

thoughts????

geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

pool deck puddles

Postby geeman » Tue 01 May, 2007 10:02

while a perfectly smooth deck would be nice, rain water gets into your pool anyway. don't worry about it. repouring the concrete would not match and would be more noticable than a puddle
flybynite

puddles

Postby flybynite » Tue 01 May, 2007 17:23

Its not the puddles that bother me, its the puddle that drains back into the pool. Water shouldn't flow from the deck back into the pool. Would you replace that part of deck, whole deck, or none???
twain220
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

pool deck puddles

Postby twain220 » Mon 07 May, 2007 17:09

You are right it is not a perfect world...but u paid for a deck that slopes away from your pool. If I were you, I'd request that the deck be repaired...they could cut that section at the expansion joints and repour, or they could offer you a discounted deck resurfacing (flow-crete, pool-crete, etc.)...the latter is the best option

I've redone several decks early in my career b'c the finisher (me), didn't have a keen eye. Make them redo so they don't get away with it...if anything, cause a big stink.

The puddle going into your pool is insignificant in every way OTHER than the fact that it's brand new.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”