I have high PH and no Chlorine reading, Please help!

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
momofautisticchild
I'm new here
I'm new here

I have high PH and no Chlorine reading, Please help!

Postby momofautisticchild » Tue 01 May, 2007 17:34

Hello all,
I have had a pop-up above ground pool for three years now. Last year and this year we have a fairly small one (12ft by 3ft). I did check the PH level of the pool after filling it and opening it. It showed a high PH reading of 8.2 so I put dry acid ( I was told last year by pool supplier for my size pool approx. 1779 gal.) that about 3 tbsp. would do it and it did keep it leveled last year. Now this year I did the same thing and it read good the evening then I shocked it with shock and swim (3oz.) and the PH was good the next day with a fairly high reading of chlorine (5) so after waiting till about 3:00 my chlorine wa zero and the PH was high once again. I added a little more dry acid and then the PH leveled off again and I proceeded to add my chlorine (1 oz.) and waited. Once again the Chlorine and PH were fine and the kids swam. Now this morning again it showed the chlorine as Zero and the PH off. I didnt add any more acid but I did add chlorine (1oz) and waited an hour and the PH and chlorine both read fine. I was told by our local pool dealer to add the chlorine tablets into my pool in a floater because the chlorine granules I use are not effective and "disspear with the intense sun" ( I do live in sunny New Mexico) so My question is what to do?? Im not sure if the tablets would be appropriate for my pool (do I run the risk of it eating or ruining my pool, due to the small size??) Do I just shock it again?? Told to do that by the number on my chlorine container (super shock at 6 oz) Please help!!!
Want the kids to enjoy the pool without risk!!

Sorry so longwinded!!

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Tue 01 May, 2007 18:13

I think you can buy small trichlortabs in the USA 20 gram instead of 200 gram. I would think these would be fine.

Alternatively you could manually add some cyanuric acid to the pool to bring the stablisier to 50 ppm.

HTH
momofautisticchild
I'm new here
I'm new here

Chlorine present evening and am only HELP!

Postby momofautisticchild » Thu 03 May, 2007 20:02

Thanks for your input, I do have another question however, I shock/chlorinate my pool in the evening and it obviously has a chlorine reading, by morning it still shows a chlorine reading until around 2:00pm then it shows NO CHLORINE reading so I have to add more, what can cause this?? Also is it possible that I have chlorine lock?? Was going to go to the pool store tomorrow and have them test my water, the test kit im using is the HTH 3 way with the liquids that test the CH, BR and PH, I do believe this is accurate only because I have a few test strips and they give me the same reading. Im just soo stressed out with this :? , I didnt have this problem last year, and this is the same sized pool only brand new (threw the old one out due to a leak) and now this. My kids are all upset because Im not letting them swim until this is resolved. BTW I did notice after adding chlorine this afternoon my water turned a little milky. I checked my pump/filter and it seems to be running okay.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 04 May, 2007 18:48

Have your sample checked but I doubt you have chlorine lock. I think at this stage your stabiliser level is lower than it should be.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”