I think my vaccuum put a hole in the liner! HELP

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
tawolf73
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tawolf73 » Wed 02 May, 2007 07:39

I have an 18' x 48" Metal Frame Pool by Intex. This is our 3rd season with this pool. I installed a Hayward Sand filter this year because we had so many problems with the cartridge ones that come with the Intex pools. Yesterday I was vaccuming the pool for the second time and the vaccumm got "stuck" on the pool botom. I shut off the pump to release the suction and moved the head. No problem. I just made sure I didn't stay in any spot to long so the suction wouldn't build up. About 6 hours later my husband noticed that there was a good amount of water in the mulch on the side of the pool. I noticed the water appeared to be lower than it was earlier, it wasn't covering the skimmer basket and I had to move the basket down. I turned off the pump in case it went down further. This morning it looks like we have lost about 3-4 inches total from yesterday. I am sure there is a leak and I think it's from the vaccum somehow...but how do I find it and how do I fix it? HELP!

chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Wed 02 May, 2007 15:09

Go to a pool store a get a liner repair kit. You may need to dive into the pool to find where you cut the liner. They make a special dye for this (pool store as well) or phenol red (ph test). I would the leave the fill line cracked open or a water hose running until the repair get fixed.
tawolf73
I'm new here
I'm new here

another question

Postby tawolf73 » Thu 03 May, 2007 07:15

chrisinspring wrote:Go to a pool store a get a liner repair kit. You may need to dive into the pool to find where you cut the liner. They make a special dye for this (pool store as well) or phenol red (ph test). I would the leave the fill line cracked open or a water hose running until the repair get fixed.

I knew I'd have to go in at some point! I can see the tear from the surface now that the water has cleared some and is lower. It is about 1 inch tear that is on the bottom about 3 in from wall. It isn't on a seam. Will a patch done underwater hold? Does anyone know if the Intex liners require a different type of patch because they are not regular vinyl? I really don't want to have to spend another $300 on a new liner since I just spent $400 on the new pump! Also why old I countinue to add water if it is leaking out and making the water COLDER?
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Thu 03 May, 2007 16:31

Yes, a patch will work. You do not want to drain the pool too low or you will have to deal with wrinkles, so keep it filled until you make the repair.

Postby Guest » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 22:02

the pool store told my husband that a patch kit that can be used underwater CANNOT be used on Intex pools. The glue heats up and gets too hot for the vinyl and will turn a pinhole size hole into one big enough to fit your fist through in a matter of minutes. I would not recommend trying one of these kits.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”