closing Florida pool in summer

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
flymike

closing Florida pool in summer

Postby flymike » Fri 04 May, 2007 16:08

How would I close a (caged) Florida in-ground pool during the summer months when I'm away?
    Can I cover it and turn off the filter?
    Should I lower the water level?
    Will the water get seriously stagnant? Should I shock it before I close it?

Neil

Closing a Florida Pool for the Summer

Postby Neil » Tue 22 May, 2007 15:14

I wish you had some responses to this query, as I have the same issue. I have researched without much feedback. So this is what I've planned on doing: (1) Leave the pool full of water, not because of northern climate issues but to protect against pool surface delamination. (2) Treat the water with algecide for wintering and a double dose of shock. (3) Clean the water and pool from all leaves, etc. (4) Cover the pool to protect from UV, leaves and dirt. I'll probably have some work to do on water conditioning when I return in the fall, but hopefully not too much. I'll then probably have to adjust the process for the following year. Good luck with yours.
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon 28 May, 2007 17:17

Hello everyone,
I am having the same problem.
My situation is even worse as I have to be away from the 1st of August till the end of December and nobody will be at home to take care of the pool. The pool is still covered and a persone at a pool store told me just to leave it covered. Any advise would be welcome.
Many thanks
PictureLady

Closing pool for Florida Summer

Postby PictureLady » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:50

This is our first year and it is a new inground pool.
This is very important to us, we have been told we can just leave the pool alone since the summer rains will keep it full.
But we are concerned with algae stains that might occur with the pump off and no chemicals added. Does anyone have experiences to share??
garyl

Re: closing Florida pool in summer

Postby garyl » Wed 11 May, 2016 21:57

I am keeping my west palm beach area pool operating through the summer. it's a salt pool and screened in so I should have little trouble. I will shut off the skimmer and dose the pool with calcium, stabilizer and acid for ph. the rain seams to wash all the dirt and polution that gathers on the screens right into the pool. I rather keep it running 4 hours a day than spent all that money and time closing and opening the pool. good luck.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”