A pool in Spain

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
Roger from Almanzora
I'm new here
I'm new here

A pool in Spain

Postby Roger from Almanzora » Sun 06 May, 2007 13:30

I have a 50mt³ poliester in ground pool. The water here you would not believe. If it was any harder it would'nt be wet. We get drinking water in bottles. The cal content is realy high. It is not unusual to empty the pre-pump filter 2 or 3 times during a cleaning session, and get 2 or 3 pints of calcium flakes.

The build up on the edge of the pool just above the waterline is huge and short of using a stiff brush and acid every week, it's impossible to shift. I have also got a heavy deposit on the edges of the steps and on the bottom of the pool, just in front of the bottom suction point.

The only testing kit I can get is for the Ph and chlorine. It works by putting 4 drops into a measured sample of pool water.

I guess from the time zone that this forum is based on the west coast USA so product names are not much use. Can anyone come up with some chemicals to use?
Someone suggested putting salt in the water. Any comments?

me_too

Re: A pool in Spain

Postby me_too » Wed 09 May, 2007 12:39

Roger from Almanzora wrote:I have a 50mt³ poliester in ground pool. The water here you would not believe. If it was any harder it would'nt be wet. We get drinking water in bottles. The cal content is realy high. It is not unusual to empty the pre-pump filter 2 or 3 times during a cleaning session, and get 2 or 3 pints of calcium flakes.

The build up on the edge of the pool just above the waterline is huge and short of using a stiff brush and acid every week, it's impossible to shift. I have also got a heavy deposit on the edges of the steps and on the bottom of the pool, just in front of the bottom suction point.

The only testing kit I can get is for the Ph and chlorine. It works by putting 4 drops into a measured sample of pool water.

I guess from the time zone that this forum is based on the west coast USA so product names are not much use. Can anyone come up with some chemicals to use?
Someone suggested putting salt in the water. Any comments?

Keeping the pH low with muriatic acid (HCl) should help contain the calcium as does keeping the alkalinity low (80s).

If this proves unsuccessful they you may need to add a calcium chelating agent.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”