sand in the pool

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
mjcox

sand in the pool

Postby mjcox » Sun 06 May, 2007 20:09

I had what looked like very fine dirt in the bottom of my pool. It was dark and when you brushed it, it dispersed into what looked like muddy water. I vacuumed it to waste and and thought this would take care of the problem, but it didn't. I am pretty sure it is sand but not 100% and it is to cold now to get in the water to find out. I have a 300lb sand filter with a 1 1/2 hp pump. How difficult is it to remove the sand to inspect the laterals? The opening at the top of the filter seems small to do this work. Are the laterals at the very bottom of the filter and, if so, how do you reach them to repair? I hope these are not dumb questions. I would just like the sand to stop coming back into the pool. It does not come in to where you can see it but after a few hours you can see it on the bottom of the pool. I brush it down to the main drain and it comes right back. Is there something else I can check before looking at the laterals that might be a little easier? The majority of the dirt or sand seems to gather in the deep end although there is some in the shallow also. I would think this is because of the circulation and when it gets to the deep in it cannot get back around again. Thanks for the help.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Mon 07 May, 2007 17:17

Your description is not indicative of sand.

Sand normally drops in a straight line in front of your return jets and does not cloud the water when vacuuming.

Can you vacuum this muck up? If so I would vacuum it to waste and see if it comes back as much. I suspect it is some superfine dust that is passing through the sand filter.

HTH

Postby Guest » Tue 22 May, 2007 11:17

sounds like you have brown alga. try swimtrin plus
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 20:17

YOUR SAND FILTER NEEDS TO BE 2/3 to 3/4 full and you will see it will solve your problem.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 20:34

Rub some between your finger if you can.

Gritty = sand.
Slick = algae.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”