Liquid Solar Blanket

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Amateur Chemist

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby Amateur Chemist » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 21:58

I have read many of the replies to this question, but while the chemicals released by the "fish" will provide some form of trap for evaporation of water (thus retaining some heat in your pool), I think the question of do you want a thin layer of an isopropyl alcohol compound or suspension sitting in your pool (at or near the surface) for your children to eat/drink? One can get pretty sick from isopropyl alcohol ingestion (rubbing alcohol - you wouldn't want to drink it!), and the other chemicals that may be present are no better. If your kids are like mine... they are always spitting out mouthfuls of pool water. MMmmmmm isopropyl alcohol + OTHER secret ingredients.... yummy. Even if you just put this on for an overnight heat layer... as you can read from other contributors here... there is often a film or layer at the water surface that you cant easily skim off. My recommendation - pool covers suck and are a pain to take on and off - but no one ever got sick from one - leave the extra chemicals out of the pool.

Amateur Chemist

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby Amateur Chemist » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 22:39

Amateur Chemist wrote:I have read many of the replies to this question, but while the chemicals released by the "fish" will provide some form of trap for evaporation of water (thus retaining some heat in your pool), I think the question of do you want a thin layer of an isopropyl alcohol compound or suspension sitting in your pool (at or near the surface) for your children to eat/drink? One can get pretty sick from isopropyl alcohol ingestion (rubbing alcohol - you wouldn't want to drink it!), and the other chemicals that may be present are no better. If your kids are like mine... they are always spitting out mouthfuls of pool water. MMmmmmm isopropyl alcohol + OTHER secret ingredients.... yummy. Even if you just put this on for an overnight heat layer... as you can read from other contributors here... there is often a film or layer at the water surface that you cant easily skim off. My recommendation - pool covers suck and are a pain to take on and off - but no one ever got sick from one - leave the extra chemicals out of the pool.

Ahhh,.. I found ONE of the "SECRET ingredients" used to create the thin layer of chemicals that retard evaporation rate: Polyoxyethylene (2) lauryl ether is often used in these "fish." This is a so-called "fatty alcohol" used in cleaners, cosmetics, sanitizers, defoamers, other industrial applications... So, to be fair, this chemical/molecule is considered RELATIVELY safe - but in all of its applications for human use... it is always topical! I stand by my comments... you probably don't want the kids ingesting the stuff.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby chem geek » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 16:25

The isopropyl alcohol evaporates. It is the long-chained hydrocarbon alcohols such as cetyl or stearyl alcohols that remain. Do you have a link to your source that Polyoxyethylene lauryl ether is being used?
Idahoginny

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby Idahoginny » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 20:23

Here in Texas I am not concerned about heating the pool, but, in our worst drought in recorded history, I want to save on evaporation. The pool is free formed with waterfalls, so using a real solar blanket seems out of the question. I would like to try the liquid solar blanket, But I am concerned about how much water surface disturbance will affect the surface tension and the effectiveness of the product. I have small ripples generated by the pool recirculating system and the hose to the polaris. It's generally in the high 70's at night when the surface is smooth. Will this product work in my situation?
John75

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 20:14

Hi idahojinny! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool heaters at www.indoorpoolguide.com/heating-systems
TMR4Roses

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby TMR4Roses » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 14:35

We tried them for a year. I did not find any discernible difference in the water temperature or heating costs. The year I tried them we ended up having algae problems. I don't know if it was related but the following year I did not use them and had no problems. The fish tended to float to the top so we had to tie them down. Also from what I know, it seems that using the pool breaks the film formed and thus like with a regular blanket, the heat escapes. That means when it rains, the heat escapes because the rain is breaking the film as well.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby czechmate » Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:17

The plastic solar blankets provide perfect enviroment for an algae start up.
If you do not have a perfect smooth gunite, algae will get hold in small round blotches of deteriorated surface and you will have work set for the rest of the season.
Especially if you do not use Polaris or similar and do not brush frequently.
The problem with algae, is that most people do not follow the rigorous procedure to get rid of it and stop treatment too early, at the first sign of progress.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby rosalind » Fri 25 May, 2012 00:05

Hotfire wrote:Has anyone ever tried the liquid solar blanket? The chemical that slows heat loss by slowing evaporation? Do they work? Any comments or testimonials about them?

Hotfire

Liquid solar blankets are comes in various kind of spare but they work by launching a slim liquid flim onto the top of the pool's water. This film is not dangerous to people, animals or devices so you can go swimming while it is on.
DSI

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby DSI » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 18:12

I just started using the dispenser with heatsaver, I noticed that the de filter was clogged and had to do a back wash. Does anybody know if this liquid clogs the filter or was it a coincidence. It has never clogged this quick
RicksterPool

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby RicksterPool » Tue 02 Dec, 2014 03:00

Bump an old thread...

Anyone using the newer Natural Chemistry Cover Free?

I found the ingredients (stearyl alcohol, propylene glycol) here: https://media.nat.cm/filer_public/3a/c4 ... _aug14.pdf

I also found a fascinating, though over my head patent here: http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/d ... escription

Light reading for Chemgeek!

They detail dozens of water soluble/insoluble mixtures.
They use stearyl alcohol for insoluble, but I didn't see mention of propylene glycol as the soluble (polymer) in any of their tests.

Maybe someone an decipher the new literature and tell us a better cocktail than theb4.6% each stearyl/cetyl alcohol we've come to expect.
RicksterPool

Liquid Solar Blanket

Postby RicksterPool » Tue 02 Dec, 2014 21:52

More digging...

This may be the Coverfree patent (ingredients match): http://www.google.com/patents/US3888995
Propylene glycol may be used as the dispersant?
It is a component of Corexit which was used to disperse oil after the Gulf oil spill.

Another patent loaded with TONS of references.
http://www.google.com/patents/US7867412t

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”