Cant get a flow of water through the pump... HELP!

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
llegomikey

Cant get a flow of water through the pump... HELP!

Postby llegomikey » Tue 08 May, 2007 21:48

I'm a new pool owner. I bought a house with an in-ground pool. The previous owners were using it and I saw it before they closed it. It was working and crystal clear water. By the time I moved into the house the pool was closed for the winter. :oops: The cover that was on it was old and had some holes. I was trying to drain the cover but was also draining pool water as well. I tried to get as much of the leaves off the cover as I could. I finally pulled the cover off and the remaining water and leaves went into the pool. I attached the pump, opened up all the skimmers. I turn on the pump and no water is flowing through. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Wed 09 May, 2007 06:59

Is the water half way up on the skimmers and can you see water at the top of your pump strainer?

You may have a prime issue with the pump. Remove the cover and fill it with water. Replace the cover and turn on the pump. Keep trying this until the pump gets a prime.

If this doesn't work I would contact your nearest pool store for additional advise.

God Bless
thedreemer2006

no flow joe

Postby thedreemer2006 » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 17:27

i had the same problrm--2 things--make sure the water is not to high (over the top of the skimer-because the skimmer flap will not open if water is to high--second check for blockage in the inpeller--takes 5 mins to undo motor remove 5 screws and check impeller--i used a coathanger that i cut and bent crooked to match the impeller splines--good luck
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Cant get a flow of water through the pump... HELP!

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 20:02

llegomikey wrote:I turn on the pump and no water is flowing through. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

When winterizing an in-ground pool you blow the lines out with air and plug them to prevent water from freezing inside and breaking all your piping. Look for a plug in the bottom of the skimmer and one in the return line inside the pool.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”