in floor cleaning system

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

in floor cleaning system

Postby newbie » Sun 13 May, 2007 13:43

I'm going to have a pool built in a few weeks and decided to upgrade to an in floor cleaning system.I was told from a reliable sourse that they are a maintenance nightmare.Can someone tell me the pros and cons about them? Thanks

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 13 May, 2007 23:31

Hi,

I have a really old pool (ie 20+ years) with an inground cleaning system - 10 ports in the bottom of my pool. I bought the home 7 years ago.

I have,(knock on wood), never had much of a problem with mine until last year when I needed to replace the actuator (that's the piece that routes the water to 2 ports at a time and then switches to the next 2 ports). Had to replace the gears in the old one once when I first bought the home. I have the old fashioned stationary ports (toe stubbers) instead of popups. Though, I must say that you cannot rely on it to totally keep your pool clean. Dirt and stuff still gets settled in spots that never seem to get blasted by the returning water exactly to the drain. You'll still need to vacuum a bit, especially if there are a lot of leaves, sticks, etc.

I can tell you that when I realized I was going to have to replace the actuator, many pool "experts" told me just to take the gears out and let the water flow through all the ports. They seemed to think it would be so much better. Well, I hated it - seemed to me that I had a tougher time keeping my pool chemistry right. That's why I replaced the actuator and now I'm a happy camper.

What I really like about it is that it really seems to keep my water cooler in the hot Arizona summer and chemicals certainly get distributed quicker.
Side benefit - nice foot massage.

So, there you go. I don't know if I would spend a lot of money for one, but I do like mine.

Buggsw
poolsrcool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Thanks for the info Buggsw

Postby poolsrcool » Mon 14 May, 2007 08:43

Hey thanks for that info...something to consider. I know I would be manually vacuuming as well,was wondering if it was that advantageous to have, or are they great in the beginning then get problematic.
I was told that it was alot more plumbing involved and over time it may crack in the line due to weight,pressure, yaddda yadda.I was told a couple of horror stories.
I guess I'll wait to get some more responces then make an executive desision b4 I make the plunge...I had to say that haha.
Thanx again........
poolsrcool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolsrcool » Mon 14 May, 2007 08:50

please exuse the typos responses,decision...I hate misspelling
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 14 May, 2007 23:13

Hmmmm, well perhaps it depends on the area you live. I'm in southern Arizona, no heavy freezing.

Well, like I think I mentioned, I had several "experts" tell me that I should just take the gears out of my old actuator and forget about it. They claimed it would be so much better, yada, yada, yada.

I tried it for one whole season - hated it, hated it, hated it. That's why I spent the money for a new actuator - now I'm happy again.

What type of pool is it going to be? Mine is an inground plaster pool.
poolsrcool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolsrcool » Tue 15 May, 2007 10:46

It's an inground 6' pebble tec
jerry147
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: in floor cleaning system

Postby jerry147 » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 04:27

newbie wrote:I'm going to have a pool built in a few weeks and decided to upgrade to an in floor Carpet Cleaning Port Coquitlam system.I was told from a reliable sourse that they are a maintenance nightmare.Can someone tell me the pros and cons about them? Thanks

In my opinion i recommend you the service provider which serve their service to me from last 2 years. Option Plus Cleaning service they are the professional and maintain the cleaning of my entire house and office.
Bonns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Always been a fan of the 17' endless pool spa. It even has a water purification system. Just love it.

Re: in floor cleaning system

Postby Bonns » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 02:32

Lucky, I found this post. I'm installing a pool pretty soon too.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”