PH stuck at 7.8

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.

PH stuck at 7.8

Postby Guest » Tue 15 May, 2007 20:15

Have new In ground salt water pool and ph is stuck at 7.8 ta is 100 Cal is 310. I am useing a program called perfectpoolandspa and its working good but ph is stuck at 7.8 have been doing what it says after inputing all test results for over a month now and ph is just staying right at 7.8. program says add 3.90 oz acid everyday because its always the same test results and I add the acid next dat test and everything is the same. should I just put more acid then program is saying or just stay the course with it.

me_too

Re: PH stuck at 7.8

Postby me_too » Wed 16 May, 2007 06:52

In my opinion the TA is a tad high for a SWG system. The SWG will tend to drive the pH upwards, as does the TA. The calcium is a bit high so try to keep the pH in the lower range to prevent scaling. I would lower the alkalinity to about 80-90, and just by lowering and maintaining a lower pH it will drop off by itself.

What size pool?

Postby Guest » Wed 16 May, 2007 08:08

14 +28 6 foot deep to 3 pool bulder said about 12600 gal est
me_too

Postby me_too » Wed 16 May, 2007 09:07

Anonymous wrote:14 +28 6 foot deep to 3 pool bulder said about 12600 gal est

19 ounces of acid should bring your pH down by 0.4. Try that and let me know. Be careful when handling and dispensing the product.

I've downloaded the program and gave it a test run. Given a pool with high pH and low alk it recommended increasing the alk, which by experience is wrong. It also recommended adding calcium to the test pool even though it was not needed. And with a pool with high alk it recommended lowering the alk (as opposed to lowering the pH - easier).

So all in all I wouldn't take its recommendations too seriously. It's good though to calculate the Saturation Index, if you're into that.

Postby Guest » Wed 16 May, 2007 11:33

Ok added 19 ounces of muratic acid and PH is now about 7.4 maybe just slightly under, TA is now 80 this test was done 30 mins after the add so might be wrong as may need to mix in more to get a better test.

Postby Guest » Wed 16 May, 2007 11:45

I put all the test results in the program and this is what it say to do
uration Index is too low. This can be corrected by raising the Total Alkalinity to 100 PPM
Recommended Treatment:
* Add Total Alkalinity: 3.90 lb (6.96 Cups)
Follow chemical container label directions! Test again in 24 hours.
me_too

Postby me_too » Fri 18 May, 2007 13:11

Anonymous wrote:I put all the test results in the program and this is what it say to do
uration Index is too low. This can be corrected by raising the Total Alkalinity to 100 PPM
Recommended Treatment:
* Add Total Alkalinity: 3.90 lb (6.96 Cups)
Follow chemical container label directions! Test again in 24 hours.

The water is perfect as it is! It is exactly where you want it.

The TA at 80 will offset any tendency for the pH to rise due to outgassing and hydroxyde production in the SWG. You would want a 'higher' TA if you're using an acidic source of chlorine like trichlor. Since your SWG tends to make the pH rise a little, too much TA would just exacerbate the problem.

I say the water is perfect.

Keep testing the water on a regular basis just to make sure.

Enjoy your swimming season!

Postby Guest » Fri 18 May, 2007 13:38

Thanks, will keep everything like its is from now on. should I shock treat pool with a reg shock or just use the SWG to shock the pool?
me_too

Postby me_too » Fri 18 May, 2007 19:15

Anonymous wrote:Thanks, will keep everything like its is from now on. should I shock treat pool with a reg shock or just use the SWG to shock the pool?

Well, with a SWG there's usually no need to shock because the technology introduces a constant amount of chlorine in the pool at all times. However if you do want to shock you could use whatever chlorine you have handy, be it bleach or cal hypo or lithium, as opposed to running the unit at a faster rate because (a) dispensing the shock in the pool is quicker than asking the SWG to do it and (b) you'll save wear on the plates.

Happy swimming season,

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”