Replace cartridges or buy D.E.

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
parrothead

Replace cartridges or buy D.E.

Postby parrothead » Tue 15 May, 2007 23:26

I have a inground Blue Haven diving pool.About 20-22,000 gal I think. It was here when we bought the house.Was built around 96 or 97.It has a cartridge style filter.uses 2 C 880E cartridges.Ratings are 175 sq ft 2 120GPM Res.I replaced the filters about 4-5 yrs ago and it really helped clear up the water at that time.They do seem to lose their filtering ability pretty fast.I have been told this filter is too small for my pool.I had planned to buy a new D.E. filter this season.Unfortunatley I just had to replace my pump motor and impeller this week.Now then the sand and dirt go in the skimmer and come right back out the return jets.Today I took the filters to the car wash and cleaned them good.Did not help.Do they just eventually stop working at all? It will cost a little over a 100 bucks to replace cartridges.Am I wasting money.Should I figure out a way to go ahead and buy a D.E.? I have no problem spending the hundred if i can get a couple more seasons out of them.Just dont want to throw away $$$---Thanks

Postby Guest » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 15:09

If you clean your cartridge filters every 3 to 4 months they should last anywhere from 5 to 7 years. The problem is that when you don't clean your filters they get cloggged with dirt and oils. I'm sure you hosed them off and they looked clean but they aren't . You need to replace them with new ones and clean them every 3 to 4 months

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”