Evaporation or leak?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
audionut

Evaporation or leak?

Postby audionut » Wed 16 May, 2007 10:46

Hi, new pool owner here. I have a 40'x23' inground vinyl liner pool which was opened 2 weeks ago. Current average conditions have been low humidity (45-50%), moderate winds (15-30 mph), and day temps high 70's to low 80's, night temps high 40's low 50's. The pool is heated with water temp set to 85 during the weekends, and 75 during the week. How much water, on average, should I lose? Seems I lose about 1/4-1/2" per day on weekends (with heavy use) and 1/8-1/4" during the week (with light use). Does this sound right? Or might I have a leak?

Thanks.

Mike in Tampa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Mike in Tampa » Tue 22 May, 2007 10:28

I think that's a normal water loss. I live in Tampa, fl and we're experiencing an abnormal dry spell lately and with the temps in the high 80's to low 90's I've been loosing 1/4 - 1/2 every day or so. I seem to have to fill a few inches every week but from what I can tell, that's normal evaporation levels.

one test I've heard to be sure is to fill a bucket with pool water and sit it on one of your steps, make sure the water level in the pool and bucket are at the same level, check your water level in a few days, if both are at the same level, then its normal evaporation.
audionut

password

Postby audionut » Thu 24 May, 2007 06:03

Thanks for the info. I'll try the bucket test.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”