birds pooping over my inground pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
GLITTER

birds pooping over my inground pool

Postby GLITTER » Mon 27 May, 2013 21:33

I have had my pool for more than 30 years but this is the first year that I have blackbirds crap in it. My cat killed the contents of one nest but the population and number of nests of these little bastards is beyond the appetite of my killer feline. I pay monthly for pool service so the cost becomes unbearable because the pool guy sweeps only to have them dirty it immediately after.
It is my understanding that they are protected by law so I can't shoot them. They are violent and peck my dear kitty when he tries to protect my pool. They have been here for too long and need to fly South. This is almost worse than the movie "The Birds". If anyone finds a solution, please post it for all us victims to read.

tiredofbirdpoop

Re: birds pooping over my inground pool

Postby tiredofbirdpoop » Wed 18 May, 2016 13:42

after years of putting up with poop bombs and tryings all sorts of nonsense to prevent it, I resorted to a sure fire fix. A .22 rifle. Last year I killed over 60 grackles and 35 so far this year. We've had about a dozen poop bombs this year before it stopped. Typically we get 1,000 poop bombs in about 3 wks. Not with this sure fire remedy. Thanks for not coming up with anything better. Now finally, we can enjoy a clean poop free pool.
DavidSwimmer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DavidSwimmer » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 20:48

Hi everyone,

I have to chime in here. I tried a lot of these ideas and had no luck for any extended period of time. I even tried a bb gun with a laser site mounted on it! I thought that was sure to scare the pigeons away...

Nope! All I did was decimate one population until a new flock came in a couple weeks later. It was so frustrating.

I finally broke down and put in a full screen enclosure. It wasn't cheap, but I'm so happy I did. Those bird droppings were becoming a serious health concern. (And the added bonus is no mosquitoes now either! That's good news for us down in "Zika-ville" - aka south FL.)

The wife and kids love it--even if we're not actually swimming but just relaxing outside or barbecuing, etc.

(If you're curious, ours is the third picture you see in the carousel: http://palmbeachpatioscreens.com )

If anyone has any questions about costs or other concerns I'm happy to supply more info, just PM me.

But the main takeaway is a permanently "poopless pool" was worth the expense to us.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 03:11

And it keeps leaves debris and other unwanted guests
DavidSwimmer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DavidSwimmer » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 13:06

Denniswiseman wrote:And it keeps leaves debris and other unwanted guests

Yes. It has been a godsend. I figure it will pay for itself over about 5 years. But it's 5 years of reduced cleaning bills (and BB pellets expense!) and wayyy less hassle.

-DS
trinity
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Postby trinity » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 04:16

really a pain in the arse. When this pappened first time i covered pool with whatever, and it worked. It was too boring to put it every time. In my case birds flew away after a couple of months.
TAZ427
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,500 Gal, In Ground, Pepple Tec, Variable Speed Pump, Hayward 4 Cartridge filter...

Postby TAZ427 » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 11:32

Last year, I had some Green Heron's nesting in a tree next to the pool. You talking about some very large droppings, and when you have two adults and clutch of 4 babies, the produced a lot of poo for the deck until they babies took to wing and they flew off. I took the nest out over the winter, and will be on the lookout. As long as they go build a nest somewhere else, I'll be happy.

The weirdest part was when the dead fish started showing up in the pools skimmer. I guess they babies couldn't handle them and they got dropped over the side ended up in the pool and then sucked into the skimmer. Finding the first one produced a very 'WTF?' moment.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 00:11

How about covering it with a pool cover?
Sunset48

Postby Sunset48 » Fri 20 Apr, 2018 13:46

jesicamacdroff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jesicamacdroff » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 03:15

You can cover your pool with a mirror or transparent sheet.
Barbara C
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x 33 oval, above ground.

Postby Barbara C » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 09:59

For the first time in 30 years we have the grackle (black bird) droppings all over our pool deck, walkaround and in the water. Does anyone know how much bacteria this can cause in the pool water? We're washing the deck and vacuuming all the droppings almost immediately, but the thought of swimming seems gross to me! Thank you!!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”