Cloudy Water After Brushing

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
SMB

Cloudy Water After Brushing

Postby SMB » Sun 20 May, 2007 09:06

I recently opened my inground 30 thousand gallon pool. After a pool analysis by a local pool company, I had to add 150 pounds of chlorine because of a high chlorine demand. It's been about 2 weeks since the application. When I brush the bottom of the pool, I notice chalk-like clouds form that immediately cloud the pool. I've backwashed the pool many times (I use DE) and I notice that the pressure rises from 14 psi to 20psi within 24 hours following backwashing. I use a Polaris, but that doesn't seem to help. I've been toldby the pool company that the cloudy condition is due to the residual chemicals settling to the bottom of the pool and they recommended me to manually vacuum the pool (which I will do shortly). My question is whether the cloudy condition is due to the large amount of chlorine I put into the pool or whether it is a filtration issue (I have a relatively new filter). Any input would be appreciated.

me_too

Re: Cloudy Water After Brushing

Postby me_too » Sun 20 May, 2007 13:13

SMB wrote:I recently opened my inground 30 thousand gallon pool. After a pool analysis by a local pool company, I had to add 150 pounds of chlorine because of a high chlorine demand. It's been about 2 weeks since the application. When I brush the bottom of the pool, I notice chalk-like clouds form that immediately cloud the pool. I've backwashed the pool many times (I use DE) and I notice that the pressure rises from 14 psi to 20psi within 24 hours following backwashing. I use a Polaris, but that doesn't seem to help. I've been toldby the pool company that the cloudy condition is due to the residual chemicals settling to the bottom of the pool and they recommended me to manually vacuum the pool (which I will do shortly). My question is whether the cloudy condition is due to the large amount of chlorine I put into the pool or whether it is a filtration issue (I have a relatively new filter). Any input would be appreciated.

Are your numbers correct?

If you shocked with cal hypo, 150 pounds of 65% cal hypo in a 30k gallon pool yields 389 ppm chlorine and adds 272 ppm calcium.

:shock:
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 20 May, 2007 19:07

You sure it's not DE powder coming back into the pool? You may want to have your filter looked at.
sdportis

DE

Postby sdportis » Wed 23 May, 2007 14:24

My pool is doing the same thing. I am going to vacuum this weekend. However, after I backwash, I notice a little bit of DE that returns to the pool via the booster pump line and the spa return lines. I can't tell if DE returns elsewhere b/c the pool is a little cloudy.

My DE filter is very old and last year I was told the grids are on their last legs. The grids were cleaned during winterization, but I am worried I have to get a new filter.

I don't mind getting a new filter just as long as it has the exact dimensions as my current/old filter as I do not want to retrofit since I am only a basic do-it-yourselfer.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”