The creature beneath the winter cover

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.

The creature beneath the winter cover

Postby Guest » Mon 21 May, 2007 19:27

I moved into a house over the winter with an above ground pool. The real estate agent didn't make mention of the fact that the pool wasn't closed properly last fall... This past weekend I've drained the water from the winter cover and taken a look underneath and the liner is pretty much covered in algae. It has the bouquet of a bog.

My question is, would it be easier to attempt to knock it out with chemicals and scrubbing, or would it be better to drain the remaining water and give the liner a good scrubbing and then refill?

Any advice is appreciated.

bharb

Algae

Postby bharb » Tue 22 May, 2007 04:59

I have two buddies who drain, scrub and refill. The swear by it.
me_too

Re: The creature beneath the winter cover

Postby me_too » Tue 22 May, 2007 09:33

Anonymous wrote:I moved into a house over the winter with an above ground pool. The real estate agent didn't make mention of the fact that the pool wasn't closed properly last fall... This past weekend I've drained the water from the winter cover and taken a look underneath and the liner is pretty much covered in algae. It has the bouquet of a bog.

My question is, would it be easier to attempt to knock it out with chemicals and scrubbing, or would it be better to drain the remaining water and give the liner a good scrubbing and then refill?

Any advice is appreciated.

I guess it depends on where you are located, some cities make you pay for the water you use. And some cities have restrictions on backwashing, you may not be allowed to dump the water in the sewage. Again, it all depends on where you live.

Usually once the bigger debris is cleared up it takes a few days for the water to turn from a lovely deep green to all clear. All you need is chlorine.

Before you decide on a course of action have a sample fully tested. You may discover you really need to dump part/all of it, or you may decide to keep what you have and use about $5 of chlorine to get it clear.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”