Pump overheating

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Holzer

Pump overheating

Postby Holzer » Tue 22 May, 2007 02:08

I have a Hayward Superpump 3/4 hp inground pool pump, its overheating and shutting off, even have some burnt wire smell. The pump basket is clean, and skimmer basket is clean, wiring should be okay as the pump has been in operation for a few years. I have checked the impeller for debri and am running out of ideas. Anybody ?

Cheers
Ron

Holzer

Pump overheating

Postby Holzer » Fri 25 May, 2007 16:46

Holzer, I'm having the same problem with my daughter's pool pump. It is also a Hayward super pump. I've checked line voltage, cleaned the pump, baskets etc. I even changed the motor out and replaced it with a used extra that I had. All to no avail. I'll let you know if I come up with a fix. Please do the same.

Thanks,

Pappy
espritaville

Hayward Super pump-SAME SYMPTOMS

Postby espritaville » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 18:34

Any news .. I haven't opened mine up yet but hoping for fuse or overload protection inside ..
Any ideas yet from you two guys???
espritaville at yahoo dot com
micahharwell
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby micahharwell » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 03:06

Have you checked to see if the wires that feed the pump are sufficient? Wires that are too small will cause a motor to overheat.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 08:24

micahharwell wrote:Have you checked to see if the wires that feed the pump are sufficient? Wires that are too small will cause a motor to overheat.

I was thinking the same thing...insufficient supply. Or the seal is bad and putting excess wear on the motor maybe? :?:
partee1s
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

over heating filter motor

Postby partee1s » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 21:09

Hi!
I too am having a motor that is over heating.
It is a fairly new motor, it just started turning on and off by itself....I'm guessing it's an overheating issue.
Did you solve the issue with the previous overheated motors?
Any ideas to help me? It worked fine til end of last season.

I have a Hayward S400 filter, & a 3/4 horsepower pump &
20X40 inground
Thanks! :D :cry:
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 22:37

Is the motor in direct sun? They will overheat easily in direct sun on a hot pool pad.
ragus22

Problem with Hayward pump

Postby ragus22 » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:26

I have a above ground swimimg pool and a Haywars motor which is having the same problem - overheating and triping. Can anyone share the info on how they got this fixed. Thanks
AZ Poolowner

Pump overheating after vacuuming

Postby AZ Poolowner » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:04

My pump also recently started cutting off periodically after it gets very hot. I noticed the problem after I vacuumed the pool. When I take the lid off the skimmer basket the water level is higher then normal (spilling over sometimes). I cleaned the impeller but it had no impact. When the pump is running the pressure on the system is normal and the water returns to the system fine through the return, pop ups, water fall, aerator. I haven't tried a snake to check the pipes, but I'm wondering if it's a clogged line even though the pressure and return of water to the pool are fine.
pool tech

overheating motors

Postby pool tech » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:52

The solution to your problem is replace the motor. It would be nice if there was a cheaper alternative but theres not. If you do nothing the motor will stop working all together in the meantime the length of time it takes for the motor to overheat will get shorter. If you have a new motor under a year old it's still under warranty, but I don't think your spare motor is going to qualify. I've had customers ruin motors in less than a month by letting the pool water get to low or having their booster pump come on at the same time or before the filter pump. The last thing I see in common with all of you is you have Hayward pumps. Next time you buy any pool equiptment stay away from hayward it is junk. I only trust in pentair and sta-rite and i've serviced 30,000+ pools.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”