HELP Pool filter explodes!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
okjeepstero1

HELP Pool filter explodes!

Postby okjeepstero1 » Tue 22 May, 2007 18:27

:x PLEASE HELP! We bought this home in November as is! It has an inground pool that is concrete on the bottom with fiberglass panels - IT WAS NASTY! We cleaned it - painted it with a two part marine epoxy - bought a new Hayward S244s sand filter - We hooked up the filter and the top keeps exploding off! There is a clamp that holds it in with some small rubber things to go on the end of the screws but they are torn and obviously not working! We are about ready to go buy some catfish and turn it into a fishing pond!! If anyone has any advice on why the top keeps blowing and what we can do to prevent it from continueing to happen we would be most grateful. PLLEEAASSE HELP :)

sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Tue 22 May, 2007 20:12

In what position is your multiport valve? Do you know anything about pools? Why not hiring a professional?
okjeepstero1

Postby okjeepstero1 » Tue 22 May, 2007 20:33

No we have never owned a pool and are slowing learning - To date we have spent over 1,000.00 getting it up and running - we are both social workers and have SIXchildrenof our own so finances are an issue. We had one pool guy come out originally and he guided us through the cleaning and painting phases. The multi-port valve was on filter today when the top blew off - When we first hooked it up we were not letting all the air out of the filter and once we figureed that out it seemed to be working great - this afternoon I added some chemicals and started it running after about one and half to two hours I checked and the top was off with water spilling everywhere!
okjeepstero1

Postby okjeepstero1 » Thu 24 May, 2007 21:20

Well...we gave up on the filter top and have asked Hayward to send a new one - the thing is only about two weeks old and we never vcould get it to stop exploding off the top! Has anyone else had any problems with a Hayward S244s sand filter?

Postby Guest » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 13:12

okjeepstero1 wrote:No we have never owned a pool and are slowing learning - To date we have spent over 1,000.00 getting it up and running - we are both social workers and have SIXchildrenof our own so finances are an issue. We had one pool guy come out originally and he guided us through the cleaning and painting phases. The multi-port valve was on filter today when the top blew off - When we first hooked it up we were not letting all the air out of the filter and once we figureed that out it seemed to be working great - this afternoon I added some chemicals and started it running after about one and half to two hours I checked and the top was off with water spilling everywhere!

Sound like you have a back pressure problem. Are all your Inlets open that is where water enters the pool usually have 2. What is the water pressure guage showing on water P.S.I.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 13:19

okjeepstero1 wrote:Well...we gave up on the filter top and have asked Hayward to send a new one - the thing is only about two weeks old and we never vcould get it to stop exploding off the top! Has anyone else had any problems with a Hayward S244s sand filter?

I have the exact same filter, it is an excellent "pro-quality" sand filter. To date mine has never blown it's top. :lol:

If it is a pressure problem, you would also see crazy high readings on the pressure gauge (on the multiport valve). What does it read? The filter pressure max is 50psi...mine never goes above 25psi and then only when really dirty. If you put the filter on recirculate...what does the pressure read then? If you have back pressure problems this will also be abnormally high.

Are you sure the screws on the clamp are tight? Before it blew, did you see water leaking anywhere around the top?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”