LOW CHLORINE

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
jllyles
I'm new here
I'm new here

LOW CHLORINE

Postby jllyles » Wed 23 May, 2007 13:27

Every year I have trouble getting chlorine in my pool. I will usually use 15 to 20 pounds of chlorine and about the same amount of shock to get a good chlorine reading. Once the chlorine level comes up everyting is usually fine for the rest of the year. This year I installed an Aqua-rite salt system in my pool. I started out with good chlorine readings but they went down. I have a 20,000 gallon in ground pool. All other test are perfect according to my local pool supplier. I am running my aqua-rite at 90% and still only maintaining about .5ppm chlorine. Others in the area are running the same system on larger pools and running less that 60% on the unit. I know the system is generating because I have pulled a water sample directly from the jet in the pool and it shows 3+ ppm.

Is there a permanent fix for this problem.

I saw one posting the said to use 13% liquid sodium hypochlorite to solve the problem. I understand that this is just high strength bleach. Is this better that using the regular shock (calcium hypochlorite).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 24 May, 2007 22:57

Liquid chlorine or regular bleach is fine to use and will prevent you from getting your CYA stabilizer levels too high. You need to know your CYA and keep it at the proper level.

How old is your SWG - perhaps you have a bad cell - does it have a setting to help clean the cell? - check warranty - what does AquaRite say about this problem?

Purchase a good test kit and test your water yourself - not strips. Pool stores can be incorrect for a bazillion reasons - if your test sample is over an hour old, methods used to test, etc. Strips are okay to use for a quick check daily , but weekly you need to get super accurate test readings and possibly daily if you are way out of balance.

Return to “Chlorine”