can't get rid of CC

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
huntwc

can't get rid of CC

Postby huntwc » Wed 23 May, 2007 13:33

Any advice on how to get rid of combined chlorine. Have tried chlorine and non chlorine shock, granular and liquid. Still nothing!! My pool has been open about 10 days. My local pool store is baffled as to why I can't get rid of it despite all of the shocking.

Today's numbers

FC 1.0
TC 2.0
CC 1.0
Ph 7.2
TA 148

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


me_too

Re: can't get rid of CC

Postby me_too » Wed 23 May, 2007 18:08

huntwc wrote:Any advice on how to get rid of combined chlorine. Have tried chlorine and non chlorine shock, granular and liquid. Still nothing!! My pool has been open about 10 days. My local pool store is baffled as to why I can't get rid of it despite all of the shocking.

Today's numbers

FC 1.0
TC 2.0
CC 1.0
Ph 7.2
TA 148

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


You did try 10-15 ppm chlorine, did you?

Plan B is to test for phosphates, apparently at levels >100-150 ppb you can have chlorine demand. Have 'em test for phosphates just to rule it out.
huntwc

Postby huntwc » Thu 24 May, 2007 11:41

Yup, we have double shocked! Still have the CC. No phosphates/nitrates either.

Our pool "expert" says just keep shocking!!
me_too

Postby me_too » Thu 24 May, 2007 12:59

huntwc wrote:Yup, we have double shocked! Still have the CC. No phosphates/nitrates either.

Our pool "expert" says just keep shocking!!

Well, if you have used "non-chlorine" shock, depending on the test kit chemistry, it may interfere with the CC reading.

The pool store may need to use a deox reagent to eliminate the false CC reading caused by the monopersulfate.

The good news is that it's not increasing.

The bad news is that it's not decreasing.

Plan C is to get the water tested by another pool store, just to get a second opinion.

What size pool?

What's the chlorine content of the shock you've been using?

Sorry if all this seems redundant.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Thu 24 May, 2007 22:48

Your TA is high. Bring your PH up by aerating your pool. Then bring it back down to 7.2 with muriatic acid. This will lower your TA a bit. Then raise your PH again by aerating and then bring it back down to 7.2 repeat until you get your TA down to 120 or below.

What is your CYA ?- you may need to shock to a higher level if you have a lot of stabilizer in your pool. If your CYA is at 100 - 200 then you need to shock to 25 ppm. 15ppm is good when your CYA is in the recommended 30 - 50 ppm. When you shock, you may need to keep it at shock level for at least 3 days or so to rid of CC. If you have a high CYA, then don't use shock that has stabilizer in it. Use liquid chlorine or regular bleach.
huntwc

Postby huntwc » Fri 25 May, 2007 06:40

Sorry to be naive...what is aerating your pool and how do you do it?

Thanks!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Fri 25 May, 2007 11:11

You can aerate your pool with anything that might create small bubbles or droplets. A water fountain, water fall. I have a built in aerator on the side of my pool which will spray the return water up into the air and drop back into the pool.

Some pools have return jets that can be turned to get aeration into the pool - like a spa massage jets.

Anything that will introduce air bubbles or droplets into the water.

A windy day aerates your pool.
huntwc

Postby huntwc » Fri 25 May, 2007 12:22

I have a waterfall that spills into my pool...will that be sufficient. I use it everyday!

Shocked last night with non - chlorine shock, still have CC with very little FC. I have lowered TA to 130 but now Ph is too low 7.0 so I added soda ash to bring it up...will this ever end?

I have been added granular stabilized chlorine everyday. This is in additional to the 3 in. tabs in my rainbow chlorinator.
me_too

Postby me_too » Fri 25 May, 2007 12:52

How are you testing CC?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Fri 25 May, 2007 16:26

huntwc wrote:I have a waterfall that spills into my pool...will that be sufficient. I use it everyday!

Shocked last night with non - chlorine shock, still have CC with very little FC. I have lowered TA to 130 but now Ph is too low 7.0 so I added soda ash to bring it up...will this ever end?

I have been added granular stabilized chlorine everyday. This is in additional to the 3 in. tabs in my rainbow chlorinator.


Yes, your waterfall should do the trick if you run it regularly and long enough.

Return to “Chlorine”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests