FOUND A CURE FOR GREEN ALGAE

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
DLCOLBORN

FOUND A CURE FOR GREEN ALGAE

Postby DLCOLBORN » Fri 25 May, 2007 11:38

I've been an inground pool owner for 10 years....I've experienced green algae before but nothing like this spring.

We had 6 straight weeks of heavy rainfall, and before I knew it my pool was totally green, but this algae was very, very thick.

In the past, algaecide has worked but not this time....I shocked and vacumed, etc. and nothing.

Then I talked to a pool pro of 35 years....he had me buy 2 bottles of flocculant. Flocculant breaks down algae and clumps it together.

He had me make sure my Ph was around 7.2....If your Ph is too high, just add some muriatic acid.

Anyway, I dumped both bottles of flocculant and then turned the pump to "recirculate"....this will make sure the product is spread all around.

He had me turn of the "recirculate" after 30 min....turn pump off for the evening.

Within minutes, the algae was breaking up and floating to the top of the pool.

The next morning, the water was pretty clear and I could see all the algae broken up and on the bottom of the pool.

He had me vacum "to WASTE".....as I was vacuming I could see the pool totally clear up. BE SURE TO HAVE A WATER HOSE RUNNING INTO THE POOL AS VACUM TO WASTE PULLS TONS OF WATER.

Long story short, within less that 48 hours (about 36) my pool was totally clear! I shocked good and my family is swimming.

As I said earlier, I've certainly had algae before but nothing as thick and as green as this.....hope this helps someone.

Daniel mc Daid
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Daniel mc Daid » Mon 28 May, 2007 09:21

Hello there can you tell me what type of floc you used and how much and has it stoped algie from reappearing.
Thanks
DLCOL BORN
I'm new here
I'm new here

flocculant

Postby DLCOL BORN » Mon 28 May, 2007 12:07

Yes, I used BioGuard's "PowerFloc"........it says pool enhancer, but flocculant breaks algae up where it can be vacumed...I bought 2 bottles at $15.99 each....and dumped them BOTH in the pool....be sure to "recirculate" the water....(it won't go through the sand).

I'm in Texas and we have many locations of Lew Akin's Ocean Quest Pools and he sells it....they also sell a heck of an algaecide "Killer" called "Banish".....but my pool pro said, "Banish will kill the algae in one week.....the PowerFloc in 48 hours.....it doesn't kill it but gets it to a state where you can literally vacum it up

It worked for me and my algae was thick like soup and very slimy and thick!

My pool is still clear and we've had rain and flooding daily for 10 days. Once I got all the algae vacumed up we swam in pristine water....now it's been raining hard so I've been putting in 20 oz of Clorox bleach every other day....I use "recirculate" for about an hour so it is thoroughly mixed up in the pool, and then turn the pump off.....the bleach will keep the algae from coming back in all this rain!

Hope you can find it....I know if it worked for my situation it will work for anybody.
Michael Silvester
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Michael Silvester » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 02:08

Great Tip Mate,

Don't tell too many people as you'll put
some pool service technicians out of work :wink:

I might add that you shouldn't vacuum until
the floc has completely cleared the water, because
if you vac too early you will have to do it again
because there is still some particles sinking.

I've actually been using this technique for years
and my record is 8 hours. From swamp to oasis!

Take Care,

Michael Silvester
=================================
Download my Free Report at GreenPoolTips[dot]com
=================================
Icecream
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 11,000 gallon, above ground, inside deck. Sand filter

Re: FOUND A CURE FOR GREEN ALGAE

Postby Icecream » Tue 16 Aug, 2022 12:48

Hi
I am trying to use the floc now because I have literally not seen the bottom of my pool in weeks. It says to put the sand pump to recirculate but that is not an option on my filter. It only says backwash, rinse, bypass to waste and winterize. If you could please tell me an alternative to recirculate, I would appreciate it so much.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: FOUND A CURE FOR GREEN ALGAE

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 18 Aug, 2022 11:36

Bypass is circulate.
Floc requires rapid mixing then calm to allow the reaction to work and a low pH.
Let us know how you get on please.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”