No Free Chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.

No Free Chlorine

Postby lbell » Sat 26 May, 2007 12:05

I have had a pool for 8 yrs. This year I cannot get a free chlorine reading and the pool is cloudy.I have put ,ready for this, over 50 lbs. of shock.I have a TC reading but no free chlorine.I do use stablizng chlorine tabs.I tried doing a dilution test to see if strip tab is being bleached out and it was a negative.Help! I have no idea what to do!!! :(

I'm new here
I'm new here
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon 14 May, 2007 16:05

Postby murphyjp » Sat 26 May, 2007 14:37

I've gone through this with my pool this year. I've finally got it under control. I had added 20 gallons of liquid shock at once and still no FC.

If you have added a ton of shock recently, let the pool filter for a day or two without adding chlorine and see where you are. I found that my CC level would spike 12-18 hours after a major shock and then would level off below where I started. This caused me headache as I would shock at night and check in the morning and see my CC had increased instead of drop which led me to add more.

What type of pool? How many gallons? What are your other readings, ta, ph, cya, ch? What are your chlorine readings?

What is the most shock you've added at one time. You will need to add enough chlorine level to 10 times what your CC reading. So if you have a Combined Chlorine reading of 5ppm you will need to add enough shock to add 50ppm. Once you start to get the CC down, keep the level of chlorine up. You will get there. I've been at it for a week or more.
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Sat 26 May, 2007 17:00

You need to check your CYA levels and shock according to the level of your CYA and keep it at that shock level for 2 or 3 days. Which means you may need to add more shock throughout the day to keep it there.

You aren't keeping it at a good shock level, high enough, for long enough to combat the CC's.

Use liquid chlorine or bleach (2xthe amount if using regular store bleach).

Without knowing your test readings I cannot tell you what shock level or how much to use.

Return to “Chlorine”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests