overdose of chlorine in the pool

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
QUICKPOINT
I'm new here
I'm new here

overdose of chlorine in the pool

Postby QUICKPOINT » Mon 28 May, 2007 22:46

i am working on a pool at my in-laws house and the pool got overdosed with chlorine.

i opened the pool up for the first time in 2 years, so the water was pretty dark. i went out and bought 10 bags of shock for the pool. the pool is aprox 32,000 gallons. the 10 bags of shock raised the chlorine to about 10 ppm. its a bit high but the water was really bad. her mother went out the next day saw the color of the water and thought it needed chlorine. so she went out and bought 20 gallons of liquid chlorine. then she put it all in. after i found out about this i tested the water with my test kit and after 1 drop of OTO the water turned red, not yellow, not orange, but red. after 1 drop. when all 5 drops were in there were chunks of stuff floating in the water i was testing. i took a sample of the water to 3 local pool place to get tested and they all said there is way too much chlorine in the pool to measure. the 1 place said theres well over 50 ppm in it.

i put in 2 pounds of chem out in the pool to help remove the chlorine 30 hours ago and the levels are still off the charts. i also was told by people to put baking soda in the pool to help save the liner. i put in 10 pounds of baking soda.

Before i added any of these things there is a very thin film or oil forming at the top of the pool. is the chlorine eating the liner or whats going on. every day the oil film on the top grows bigger. the liner is feelign a little softer below the water line and showing light fading.

If anyone has any imput on effects of massive chlorine overdose or where the oil is comming from please give some input.

Thanks in advance

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 29 May, 2007 00:48

The 20 gallons of liquid chlorine - assuming it was 12.5% would have increased your chlorine 78.1 ppm. If she used regular laundry bleach it would have increased 31.2 ppm. The chlorine neutralizer should have worked and quickly, if you put enough in. Usually, 1/4 lb of neutralizer will only decrease 2500 gallons of water by 1ppm. So 25 lbs, wouldn't be nearly enough and possibly the amount you would need would be cost prohibitive.

Your pH is probably extremely high. I would think that it would be high with all the liquid chlorine added and would definately skew your chlorine readings into the red zone.

I'd be hanging a garden hose into the pool and filling it while draining some of the old water out.

I don't know about the oily residue, but it perhaps could be a byproduct of the algae or molds that may have been in your pool?

I don't think I'd add anything else to this pool except for fresh water as I suggested earlier. Do keep testing. You really should get a FAS/DPD test kit for your chlorine, which tests much higher levels.

Please let us know what happens.
QUICKPOINT
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby QUICKPOINT » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:16

update on the pool. i put in 3 botles of the stuff that makes everything settle and waited 3 days with the filter off and it did nothing. another 3 pounds of the chem out waited 24 hours and its still off the charts and dark red when i test it. so i have drained the pool out and am in the process of refilling it. the liner did lighten up a little bit but i don't think the water was in long enough to do any damage.

Return to “Chlorine”