What is better? Liquid or Powdered Shock

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
dogette
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

What is better? Liquid or Powdered Shock

Postby dogette » Wed 30 May, 2007 04:40

Hello:
I was just wondering which is better. Liquid shock or the little individual HTH packets you can buy. I used liquid last year and thought of trying the little packets this year. (Just because it easier to handle and store).

If I use the packets? How many 1lb. bags should I use for weekly maintance for 33,000 gallons?

Thanks!

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 31 May, 2007 00:02

I prefer liquid chlorine, myself - it has no additonal CYA.

Usually a 1lb bag of shock is used to treat every 10000 gallons of water.
Beware, that you will be adding CYA and if your CYA gets too high, that you can only lower it by dumping your water level and filling with fresh water.
KC1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby KC1 » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 11:18

IN THE SWIM .COM HAS A CYA REDUCER FOR 44.99
IkeRay
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby IkeRay » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 14:45

KC1 wrote:IN THE SWIM .COM HAS A CYA REDUCER FOR 44.99

i was under the impression that CYA could only be lowered by draining and adding water. or you can drain and add some "Dihydrogen monoxide" (H2O) :).
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 17:38

IkeRay wrote:
KC1 wrote:IN THE SWIM .COM HAS A CYA REDUCER FOR 44.99

i was under the impression that CYA could only be lowered by draining and adding water.

It is.

KC1, what is the part number from Intheswim?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 23:41

Backglass - I found the part number. It is Y2700.

I would be cautious about it. I saw some references that the only thing that could possibly remove CYA is melamine. With the recalls of pet food and childrens toothpaste with melamine in it - I dunno, sort of gives me cause to pause.

I have not been able to locate an MSDS on the product.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 13:03

Buggsw wrote:Backglass - I found the part number. It is Y2700.

I would be cautious about it. I saw some references that the only thing that could possibly remove CYA is melamine. With the recalls of pet food and childrens toothpaste with melamine in it - I dunno, sort of gives me cause to pause.

I have not been able to locate an MSDS on the product.

Thats what my searches came up with as well...melamine, the same as in your test kits reagent.

The In The Swim page shows the brand name as Clormor, but www clormor com is under construction.

There are also reports that it precipitates the CYA out, turning your water milky in the hopes your filter can get it all.

It is also $50 to treat 10,000 gallons. That's over $150 for the OP's pool. :shock: At that price, I would just replace some water. :lol:
long gone

cyanuric acid remover

Postby long gone » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 16:31

I represented All Chem Industries who manufactures and re-packages other manufacturers products under the ClorMor label. The Cyanuric acid remover is a polymer that is suppose to attract the cyanuric acid and remove it in filtration. Note I said suppose to remove. The product will work if you put 20 plus gallons of product in a 10,000 gallon pool. But don't plan on enjoying a swim, as the water will be slimmy. Add the cost and you would have been better off wasting water as you probably will any way due to slim.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 18:20

Thanks long gone. The mystery is now solved. I've been wondering what that product was for a long time and had heard that it was melamine from some and not melamine from others so figured it was some sort of polymer clarifier. Sounds iffy at best. Partial drain and refill is a cleaner approach to reducing CYA and being knowledgeable about stabilized chlorine products so you don't get the CYA too high in the first place is even better.

Richard

Return to “Chlorine”