2 questions

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
vshayEvich
I'm new here
I'm new here

2 questions

Postby vshayEvich » Wed 30 May, 2007 09:41

Hi all.....since i'm a new pool owner I have some dumb questions. We finally got rid of our green swamp and it's crystal blue. The PH is a tiny bit low at 7.2. I know we have to add soda ash to increase it (right?).....I was wondering - can we put the soda ash in and then go swimming or is there a certain amount of time we have to wait after?

Question #2: We have been told by a pool store and the old home owner that the 3 inch tricholor tablets go into the skimmer. We have a vinyl lined inground pool. I've been reading online to NOT put the tablets in the skimmer.....what should I do? Do I get one of those cute floating ducks and put the tablets in there or keep them in the skimmer like the previous owners did?

Thanks for the advice!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: 2 questions

Postby Backglass » Wed 30 May, 2007 09:55

vshayEvich wrote:We have been told by a pool store and the old home owner that the 3 inch tricholor tablets go into the skimmer. We have a vinyl lined inground pool. I've been reading online to NOT put the tablets in the skimmer.....what should I do? Do I get one of those cute floating ducks and put the tablets in there or keep them in the skimmer like the previous owners did?

If you put the pucks into the skimmer they will dissolve quickly due to the torrent of water. This is helpful if you NEED to raise the level fast, but generally unnecessary.

Get yourself a duck for a slow, maintenance dissolve.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 30 May, 2007 23:39

I don't own a vinyl pool, but I have read that those floaters are not recommended for vinyl pools. Only because the floater may get too close to the vinyl side for too long of a time or get hung up on a ladder or such and bleach out that area of the vinyl.

Some tablets recommend that you do not put them in the skimmer. The higher chems can wear your equipment out faster. There are some tablets that are made for the skimmers.

Personally, I use liquid chlorine.

There are a lot of vinyl pool owners that hang out at
www dot troublefreepool dot com which is another great pool forum. You may want to wander over there.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”