Proper Method?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
m4kaveli
I'm new here
I'm new here

Proper Method?

Postby m4kaveli » Wed 30 May, 2007 21:17

I have a new 27' above ground pool with heater. Which is approx 17,000 gallons. I have a reading of TA about 200 and PH that stays exactly at 7.9. The Cl is always at 0. I have spoken with many pool stores and they all have different methods. From my understanding, I have to lower my TA first before getting the PH down a tad and getting the clorine to register.

So, with the size pool, I was told that I would need about 3.25 gallons of Muriatic Acid to lower the TA 100ppm. I have attempted to put in about 2 gallons of Acid, 1/4 gallons at a time a day, but nothing changes. I normally do it with the filter off and pour it in one spot in the pool.

Am I doing this right or what else can I try?

Postby Guest » Wed 30 May, 2007 21:30

I think you could add a gallon at a time but walk around the pool as you are pouring it in and try not to splash it on the pool walls and leave the pump on.

Postby Guest » Wed 30 May, 2007 21:52

If I were to walk around the pool and leave the filter on, that will lower the PH AND TA right? Also, I have a two speed pump. Usually I leave it on low for 24 hours a day. Would you think that would be adequate or should I turn it on high while adding the acid?

How long after the acid "application" should we wait to go in?

Postby Guest » Wed 30 May, 2007 21:57

I have been reading a few other sites on this subject, and it seems as though the ph is more important than TA, and you should stop adding muriatic acid if the ph reaches 7.2. I have swimmed in my pool a couple hours after adding muriatic acid with the pump on with no problems. I don't think you should ever add chemicals without the pump on.

Postby Guest » Wed 30 May, 2007 22:03

OK, cool. I'll turn the filter on high for a few hours tonight and dump about a gallon or so in see tomorrow morning what we got. Thanks for your reply. I'll update tomorrow

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”