Pool water is turning green before my eyes!

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
judurant
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool water is turning green before my eyes!

Postby judurant » Thu 31 May, 2007 14:44

My PH is a little low, and I was showing no free chlorine, so I just added 2 pounds of chlorine-free shock (don't remember brand name), as per the instructions from the guy at the pool store. Now my water is turning green! It used to be blue. I just added the chemical an hour ago, and it seems to be getting worse!
Is this normal? Will it go back to blue?
What do I need to do???

They also told me to ad PH rise to the water, but not until after the kids are finished swimming. No one even WANTS to swim in it right now!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
~Judy

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 16:19

It was clear blue and now it's turning green? Sounds like copper in your water, too me.

Get your water tested and if it is high in metals, you can use a metal out.
Kym

Postby Kym » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:14

I'm a new pool-ie but so far, my experience is green pool EVERY time I add any chlorine - particularly shock.

We too have metals in the well-water.

I run the filter 24/7 and it clears up within a day. I will be speaking with my "pool pros" to see what we can add to prevent this. I don't want one day of green pool every week!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:31

If it is blue and then turns green when you add chlorine, it is most definately too much copper in your water.

Could be caused by using copper based algaecides, low pH causing pool heater corrossion or your fill water may have high copper in it.
daveshd

Re: Pool water is turning green before my eyes!

Postby daveshd » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 09:58

judurant wrote:My PH is a little low, and I was showing no free chlorine, so I just added 2 pounds of chlorine-free shock (don't remember brand name), as per the instructions from the guy at the pool store. Now my water is turning green! It used to be blue. I just added the chemical an hour ago, and it seems to be getting worse!
Is this normal? Will it go back to blue?
What do I need to do???

They also told me to ad PH rise to the water, but not until after the kids are finished swimming. No one even WANTS to swim in it right now!!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
~Judy

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”