What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
dunrite12
I'm new here
I'm new here

why should i add all these chemicals??

Postby dunrite12 » Thu 31 May, 2007 22:09

can any one give me a grief run through on why i should put chemicals such as calcium and alkaline in a pool?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 08:43

Calcium needs to be balanced for several reasons. If it is too high, you will get deposits on all your pool & equipment (pipes, pumps, heaters, etc). Just like hard water leaves deposits on your sink faucets & handles. If it is too low, your water will fulfill it's calcium needs by literally drawing calcium out of calium rich surfaces, like the pool itself. :shock:.

Alkaline is used to increase the Ph of the pool. Total alkalinity acts like a buffer to keep your Ph from bouncing all over the place. Many of us have had the situation where you take a reading and your Ph is high..so you add some acid. Then you pH is way low! So you add some alkaline. Then its way high again! Agh! If total alkalinity is inline, Ph acts much more respectable. :lol:

Anyway, all these chemicals ARE necessary to get your water "balanced". Don't think of it as making chemical soup, but correcting your water to get it back to normal.

Unbalanced pools sting your eyes, turn funky colors, eat away your plumbing and smell funny. You don't want that!

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”