WEIRD TA problem

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
nycguy

WEIRD TA problem

Postby nycguy » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:56

ok. i have a 25,000 gallon pool. my ph is very acidic and my TA is extremely low. i use strips so i cant exactly know the ppm. from here i know i have to set my TA before i try to adjust my ph. over the past week i have slowly added baking soda (sodium bicarb) im at the 30lb mark now.. about 4 lb a day i add. i still see no adjustment.. i know my strips are good because i tested a small area i poured sodium bicarb in and got positive result. however when it diffuses into the surrounding area i do not get a ppm its the lowest my strips show.. any suggestions?

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 11:16

That doesn't mean your test strips are good or bad. It just means that you got a reading in a highly concentrated area compaired to an enitre 25,000 gallons.

Get a good test kit or have your water tested at the pool store.
You may have too much CYA.

Switch to using soda ash (sodium carbonate) sold as pH up or pH increaser sometimes at pool stores. It's also the same thing as Arm & Hammer Washing soda (blue box in laundry aisle).

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 11:29

Buggsw wrote:That doesn't mean your test strips are good or bad. It just means that you got a reading in a highly concentrated area compaired to an enitre 25,000 gallons.

Get a good test kit or have your water tested at the pool store.
You may have too much CYA.

Switch to using soda ash (sodium carbonate) sold as pH up or pH increaser sometimes at pool stores. It's also the same thing as Arm & Hammer Washing soda (blue box in laundry aisle).

thank you buggsw ill try that.
nycguy

Postby nycguy » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 16:00

btw my cya is very low it says

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”