pool problems

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
KathyfromMaine1

pool problems

Postby KathyfromMaine1 » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 21:12

We just opened our pool for the season. Generally all I have to do is clean the leaves out and put the robot in, add what chemicals are needed and I am good to go. This year however, it looks like a brownish greenish film on the bottom, no matter how hard I broom it I cannot get it to budge. I just did a test on the water and it appears my water is somewhat out of whack. My hardness was 100 the Chlorine was 1/2 the ph level was 6.8 the alkalinity was 40 and the cyanuric acid was at 0. What am I doing wrong??? I don't know where to begin to correct this problem. Can anyone suggest anything? I am in Northern Maine, I have had the pool for a couple of years, the pool volume is 20,000 gallons. Thanks for any help I can get.

KathyfromMaine
I'm new here
I'm new here

pool problems

Postby KathyfromMaine » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 21:31

I wanted to also mention that the water in my pool is very, very clear, this algae seems to be just on the liner bottom and a few spots on the walls, it will not broom, it acts like it is stuck in every little divit and crack. I am not sure this will make sense to anyone?? I hope someone can help me. Being in Northern Maine, our pool problems are really not cause from excessive heat thats for sure :) !!!
KATHY
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 21:35

Sounds like you may have a serious case of some bad algae, perhaps black algae.

Get yourself a good new test kit - you'll need it. Get one that has a FAS/DPD test for chlorine - you'll need that to test these levels. OTO kits only test to 5.

Get your chlorine up. Use liquid chlorine and get your chlorine up to at least 15. Use 6.5 gallons of regular clorox or 3.2 gallons of 12.5% pool store bleach. Keep it up that high for 3 or 4 days or until it holds to the high level over night, so you may need to add some liquid chlorine every day to do that.

Add some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to get your TA & pH up. You'll need 16 lbs. Don't let your pH fall below 7.0 if this is vinyl, else you may damage your pool.

Put 5 lbs of CYA in a sock/stocking and hang it on the ladder in your pool. It will take quite a while for it to dissolve.

Keep your pump running 7/24, vacuum and backwash daily until this clears up and is in balance. Test the water daily.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 21:37

Ooooh, and don't forget to brush daily, too. Don't be surprised if it turns blue and gets cloudy. It's dead algae.

Diligence and patience in large doses.
KathyfromMaine
I'm new here
I'm new here

frogger

Postby KathyfromMaine » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 06:10

The pool I have uses the frogger system, has anyone ever heard of it? Do you think it is an effective system?
KATHY
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 13:14

I've never used the frogger system. I do know that a lot of people have had problems with it. Whether that is because of the frogger or lack of care by the owner, I don't know. I've heard the paks are quite expensive.

Pool care is really not that difficult if you maintain it regularly. A quick check daily with test strips to mostly keep an eye on chlorine and pH and adjust if necessary. Check skimmer basket. Skim any leaves out. 5 minutes daily is all I do.

On the weekend I spend a few more minutes testing the water with a full kit, but that takes only 5 or 10 minutes. Brush & vac, backwash if necessary - takes 30 minutes at most for most family pools.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”