Differences between Sand & DE

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
kjanuary

Differences between Sand & DE

Postby kjanuary » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 22:29

My Pentair CCP420 cartridge filtration was installed 6 years ago when we had the pool built. While running today, the filter was loosing water - just spewing gallons & gallons. I shut it off and on the bottom half of the tub was a 3 or 4" crack. I was told there was no way to silicone this & I should replace the part. The cartridges have never been replaced & was told to get new ones as well. I am considering moving away from cartridges since the money I would be spending to stay status quo would be equal or just a bit less than changing media types. I have been told on more than one occasion that DE filtration is much better in terms of efficiency. Are there any resources I can look at to see the differences between sand and DE?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 09:31

DE is much more efficient. It is also more work. Every time you backwash a DE filter, you flush out all the DE so you must re-fill. You do not have to backwash as often as a sand filter however as many models allow you to "bump" the unit and re-distribute the DE. DE stands for "Diatomaceous Earth" which is a fine powdered rock substance, almost like pumice. It can be messy but many people don't mind.

A sand filter, although not as efficient, is still a fine filter and relatively maintenence free if taken care of properly. It is also maintenence-cost free as there are no powders, cartridges or anything else to purchase once running.

It depends on the kind of person you are. If you don't mind / enjoy pool maintenence, DE might be the way to go. If you would rather not bother with powders or upkeep costs are an issue, go with sand.

In the event there are particles in your pool a sand filter wont get, you can always add a small amount of DE to a sand filter and get the best of both worlds.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 14:06

DE's are faster than you can believe compared to a sand filter. Water clarity difference is mostly seen to the naked eye at night in front of the pool light. A DE filter will clear in one night what it takes a sand filter to clear in 3 days.

That being said - I owned a DE and recently went back to a sand filter only I used zeolytes instead of sand. I am loving this!!! I get as close to DE quality water without having to deal with DE powder.

Seriously, my opinion, you can use a little DE with a sand filter, however, if you are going to all that trouble why not just use DE to begin with? Your going through the same maintenance at each backwash cycle.

To me, a sand filter using zeo is the best of both worlds. (I think it does matter which brand of zeo you use). Yeah, it still takes a tad longer than DE to clear, but it filters dang close to DE quality and no DE powder to mess with. No annual tear apart to clean the DE filter. Less backwashing necessary with zeo, too.

My 2 cents.
kjanuary

Postby kjanuary » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 17:50

Thanks a lot for both your input. It seems that getting a sand filter might be the way to go and use "alternative" media such as zeolites or a little DE. I just got back from Leslie's & they said the lateral move to a DE system would be a 60SQ DE filter. After tax & install i am looking at $1250. Obviously I wouldn't let them do the work since they probably sub all their stuff out anyway.

Would a sand filter be just as costly?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 19:33

kjanuary wrote:Thanks a lot for both your input. It seems that getting a sand filter might be the way to go and use "alternative" media such as zeolites or a little DE. I just got back from Leslie's & they said the lateral move to a DE system would be a 60SQ DE filter. After tax & install i am looking at $1250. Obviously I wouldn't let them do the work since they probably sub all their stuff out anyway.

Would a sand filter be just as costly?

:shock: $1250 for just a filter?! That strikes me as shockingly high, even with installation! I did a quick google search and found several DE 60sq filters for $450-$650. That installation must include a massage (if you catch my drift)! :lol:

My advice? Go to home depot when they are having free classes on how to use PVC pipe. Buy the filter over the internet and install yourself, and save yourself about $800. Even if you messed it up three times and had to buy all new pipe, it would still be cheaper!!! :P

A sand filter would be about the same, give or take. You cam find great deals on both these days.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”