low suction

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ulm4lyf
I'm new here
I'm new here

low suction

Postby ulm4lyf » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 16:59

I bought my house in October and I have never owned a pool before so this has been a learning process for me. I had a Polaris 269 that the previous owners left with the pool and it worked ok last year. This year when I went to open my pool it didn't really work at all. After buying new valves, o-rings, and other various things it still didn't work. I then took the Polaris apart to see what I could see. As soon as I took it apart 3 ball bearing fell out...I assumed that there should have been more, and I noticed that there were no belts and the gears were stripped so I just threw it away.

I then started to just use a manual pool vacuum to clean it with. It takes longer, but it did the job, at first. I had low suction but would pull up most things. I have a hole beneath my skimmer basket that i run mu vacuum hose to, which then takes it to my sand filter. The sand filter is supposedly only 2-3 years old. I have a basket filter that is attached to my pump as well and I have to clean it out often when I am vacuuming the pool.

As my post says, I am complaining about low suction. It was kinda low at first, then I backwashed and then my suction was great enough so that it would suck the vacuum head to the bottom of the pool if I wasn't careful but then it mysteriously just quite sucking. My pressure went from 20psi to 15psi. I bought a little ball valve to put down my skimmer basket line to try and blow any clog out, but no luck. I tried doing the same from the other end but no luck there either. I am not even sure that I have a clog.

I know that this is a long first post and no one likes to read long posts but I really don't want to spend another $200-$300 on my pool. I really WOULD like to be able to enjoy it as my family keeps asking when they can come over and swim. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 10:20

Above or inground? If you have a main drain make sure you have the valve for the main drain shut for better suction, if you don't then it sounds like you might have a clogged impellor or your basket is full of debris on the pump, Good Luck
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”